Diana White, Ph.D.
Diana White, PhD
Senior Research Associate II
Office: URBN 470N
Work force development across the spectrum of services for older adults, (direct care workers, nurses, options counselors, behavioral health specialists), person–centered environments, and family ties and aging (intergenerational relationships caregiving, family bereavement).
Dr. White works on a variety of education and evaluation projects. Current work includes:
• ADRC Mental Health Training & Education. Oregon Department of Human Services, Aging & People with Disabilities.
• Dementia Training for Aging and Disability Resource Connections Staff and Partners.
Oregon Department of Human Services, Aging & People with Disabilities.
• Development of the Person-Directed Care Instrument for Residents. Quality Fund Award, Oregon Department of Human Services. Aging & People with Disabilities.
• Enriched Clinical Learning Environments through Partnerships (ECLEPs), evaluation of the newest OHSU School of Nursing ECLEPs project to reduce risk of adverse effects in Assisted Living.
• Resident Satisfaction with Adult Care Homes in Multnomah County. Multnomah County Aging, Disability, and Veterans Services.
Previous research focused on supporting direct care workers in long-term care settings and developing tools to measure person-directed care practices. Dr. White teaches the Families and Aging and Mental Health and Aging at PSU.
Selected Publications - scholarly publications
White, D., & O'Brian, J. (2014). Family health in mid and late life. Kaakinen, J., Cochlo, D.P., Steele, R., Tabacco, A.,& Hanson, S.M.H. (Eds.). Family health care nursing: Theory, practice & research (5th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.
Lopez, C., White, D.L., & Carder, P. (2014). Direct Care Worker Job Satisfaction. Following Implementation of Work Based Learning., Journal of Applied Gerontology. 33. 97-120
- White, D.L., & Cadiz, D.M. (2013) . Work -Based Training in Assisted Living Benefits for Direct Care Workers. Journal of Aging and Social Policy, 25, 281-300.
- White, D.L., Cartwright, J., & Lottes, J. (2012). Long-term care nurse role models in clinical education: The ECLEP's Experience. The Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 38 (1). 43-51
- White, D. L., & Neal, M. B. (2011). Dealing with Transportation Issues. In. A. Chun, C. Irmiter, & J. Schwartzberg (Eds.). Geriatric Care by Design (Chicago, IL: American Medical Association). http://www.ama-assn.org/go/geriatric-care-by-design.
- Hayslip, B. Jr., & White, D. (2008). The grief of grandparents. In M. S. Stroebe, R. O. Hansson, H. Schut, & W. Stroebe (Eds.). Handbook of Bereavement Research (pp 441-460). Washington, D. C.: American Psychological Association.
- White, D. L., Walker, A. J., & Richards, L. N. (2008). Intergenerational family support following infant death. The International Journal of Aging and Human Development, 67 (3). 187-208.
- White, D. L., Newton-Curtis, L., & Lyons, K. S. (2008). Development and initial testing of a measure of person-directed care. The Gerontologist, 48, Special Issue 1, 114-123.
- Crandall, L., White, D. L., Schuldheis, S., & Talerico, K. A. (2007). Initiating person- centered practice in long-term care facilities. The Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 33 (11), 47-56.
- Walker, A.J., Manoogian-O´Dell, M. McGraw, L. A., & White, D. L. (Eds.). (2001). Families in Later Life: Connections and Transitions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Selected Technical Reports
- White, D. L., Dreyer, L., & Rushkin, M. (2016) Older Adult Behavioal Health Investment Initiative: Assessment, Training, and Capacity Building. Final Report submitted to the Oregon Health Authority, June 2016.
- White, D.L., Elliott, S., & Hasworth, S. (2016) Development of the Person-Directed Care Instrument for Residents. Final report submitted to Aging and People with Disabilities, Department of Human Services, March, 2016
- White, D. L., Elliott, S., & Neal, M. B. (2013). Adult Care Homes: Resident Satisfaction. Final Report submitted to Multnomah County Aging and Disability Services. Portland State University Institute on Aging.
- White, D. L., & Cadiz, D. M. (in press). Work-Based Training in Assisted Living Benefits for Direct Care Workers. Journal of Aging and Social Policy. Available online, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08959420.2013.816124
- Lopez, C., White, D. L., & Carder, P. (in press). Direct Care Worker Job Satisfaction Following Implementation of Work-Based Learning. Journal of Applied Gerontology. Available online, http://jag.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/10/30/0733464812463982
- White, D. L., Cartwright, J., & Lottes, J. (2012). Long-term care nurse role models in clinical education: The ECLEPs Experience. The Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38 (1), 43-51.
- White, D., Cadiz, D., & Lopez, C. (2010). Report, Promoting Work-Based Learning for Quality Community- Based Care: An Evaluation of the Portland Community College Jobs-to-Careers Project. (Grant #63067; presenting focus group and survey results). Submitted to Jobs for the Future (Program Office) October 11, 2010.
- White, D. L., Elliott, S., Carder, P. C., and Luhr, G. (2012). Consumer Satisfaction with ADRC Services: October 2012 – February 2012.
- White, D. L., Tressider, A. F., Carder, P. C., Truxillo, D. M., Barios, S., Jackson, S. (2012). Options Counseling in Oregon: Professional Standards and Tools to Support Options Counseling. Portland: Institute on Aging.
- White, D., & O´Brien, J. (2010). Gerontological Family Nursing. In Kaakinen, J. R., Gedaly-Duff, V., Coehlo, D.P., & Hanson, S, M. H. (Eds.). Family health care nursing: Theory, practice & research (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.