Food and Grocery Shopping in Portland
Restaurants and Groceries
Portland has restaurants which offer food from all over the world. Using the search engine Google: http://www.google.com you can type in a specific type of cuisine followed by the word “Portland” will generate a number of restaurants and a map to help you locate them.
The food carts scattered around the city are a must and offer foods from all over the world—find Food Carts Portland on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/FoodCartsPortland to get the most up-to-date information on food cart happenings.
Below is a list of restaurants in Portland that offer cuisine from different regions.
• E'njoni Café: 910 North Killingsworth Street, 503-286-1401
• Horn of Africa: 5237 NE Martin Luther King Blvd, 503-331‐9844
• Mummy’s: 622 SW Columbia St, 503-224‐7465
• Queen of Sheba Ethiopian Restaurant: 2413 NE Martin Luther King Blvd, 503-287-6302
• Brazil Grill Restaurant: 1201 SW 12th Ave, 503-222‐0002
• Pambiche: 2811 NE Glisan Street, 503-233-0511
• XV: 15 SW 2nd Ave, 503-790-9090
• Alexis (Greek): 215 W Burnside St, 503-224‐8577
• Berlin Inn Restaurant & Bakery (German): 3131 SE 12th Avenue, 503-236-6761
• Grandpa’s Café (Polish): 3832 North Interstate (Polish Hall basement)
• Patanegra: 1818 NW 23rd Place, 503-227-7282
• Rheinlander German Restaurant: 5035 NE Sandy Blvd, 503-288‐5503
• Toro Bravo: 120 NE Russell St, 503-281-4464
• Two Brothers Cafe And Grill (Croatian): 829 Southeast Cesar Chavez Blvd, 503-232-3424
• 4-4-2 Soccer Bar: 1739 SE Hawthorne Blvd, 503-238-3693
• East India Co. Grill & Bar: 821 SW 11th Ave, 503-227‐8815
• Swagat Indian Cuisine: 2074 NW Lovejoy St, 503-227‐4300
• Tandoor Indian Kitchen: 406 SW Oak St, 503-243‐7777
• Vindalho: 2038 SE Clinton Street, 503-467-4550
Middle Eastern Cuisine
• Abu-Rasheed Lebanese: 1921 Southwest 6th Avenue, 503-274-4412
• Hoda’s Middle Eastern Cuisine: 3401 SE Belmont St, 503-236‐8325
• Nicholas: 318 Southeast Grand Avenue, 503-235-5123
We advise you to shop at major grocery stores rather than small convenience stores, as the larger stores offer less expensive products.
The two largest grocery stores closest to PSU are:
1030 SW Jefferson St
100 NW 20th Ave
If you are shopping at Fred Meyer or Safeway, do your shopping during the weekend, preferably Sunday, as the sales are at their highest on fresh products. Check local newspapers and your mailbox for coupons as well.
The large chain stores normally offer free rewards card. Signing up for a rewards card often enable you to get discounts on certain items, so it is definitely worth going to the Customer Service Desk and signing up for a card.
If you are looking for items that you can use to prepare foods from your home country, you should look in the phone book under “grocers-retail” for small specialty stores, or using the Google search engine. Some of these stores are:
African International Food Market: 922 N Killingsworth St., Portland, 97217
An Dong (Chinese): 5441 SE Powell Blvd., Portland, 97206
Bazaar (Pakistani/Indian/Middle Eastern Market Place):
10255 SW Canyon Rd, Beaverton, 97005
Dashen International Groceries: 3022 NE Glisan St., Portland, 97232
Paldo World (Korean): 3975 SW 114th Ave., Beaverton, 97005
Roman Russian Food Store: 6911 SE Foster Road, Portland, 97206
Uwajimaya (Japanese):10500 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy, Beaverton 97005
Natural and organic foods can be found at:
Food Front Cooperative Grocery: 2375 NW Thurman, Portland, 97210
New Seasons: 1954 SE Division St., Portland, 97202
Whole Foods Market: 2825 E Burnside, Portland, 97214