The Business of Social Innovation online certificate
The Business of Social Innovation certificate equips you with the latest tools and approaches to tackle the world’s biggest challenges. Together, the four courses in this majority-online program will enable you to deeply examine a social or environmental problem of your choice and design a new business, nonprofit organization, or internal program to address that problem.
Throughout the program, you’ll be mentored by experienced PSU faculty, learn from practicing social entrepreneurs, work with peer mentors, and interact with leading experts. Courses can be taken in any sequence, with permission. With a focus on leadership and purpose, Impact Entrepreneurs will guide you through a transformational learning experience.
In the certificate, you will:
- Refine your purpose through leadership development
- Delve into your focus area using Human-Centered Design
- Create a solution with the Business Model Canvas
- Learn about funding for social ventures
- Use approachable financial modeling tools
- Develop a plan for measuring your impact
- Practice storytelling techniques to effectively promote your work and share your ideas
The certificate was an inspiring, positively challenging, practical experience that provided tools, insights and resources to convert ideas to sustainable actions that drive change. — Rhian Rotz, Director of Corporate Citizenship, Waggener Edstrom.
The program not only taught me how to start a business with a social mission, it also changed my ideology about the business world and gave me direction for after graduation. — Patrick Ditty, PSU Undergraduate '15.
I have a family full of entrepreneurs and I always knew starting a business was doable, but this course helped me to see a way that it could be doable for me. — Kyna Alders, PSU MBA '14.
Who Should Attend
- Undergraduate and graduate students at PSU
- Entrepreneurs aspiring to launch a new social venture
- Social enterprise managers and employees seeking to expand their skill-set
- Mid-career professionals looking to transition into social entrepreneurship
- Late-career professionals who want to create real impact in their encore career
- Non-credit: $995 (or get 10% off w/ early bird discout) | travel costs for optional international practicum not included | Scholarships available.
- | travel costs for optional international practicum not included | Scholarships available | See registration for enrollment and pricing options
- For-credit: based on university tuition and fees
~$908/course for undergraduate units in 2015
~$1,708/course for graduate units in 2015
- Need-based scholarships are available. Contact email@example.com for information.
- Accredited academic certificate available to students enrolled at university
- Professional certificate available to non-credit students
- Those taking courses not-for-credit will receive Continuing Education Units
- Course length: 10-week courses, except for two-week field studies