Position Category Definitions
Teaching and Research Faculty at PSU enjoy an environment of academic freedom, community engagement, and civic partnership, with a focus on student success and commitment to the achievement of global excellence. PSU is recognized as a leader in sustainability and green ventures in disciplines throughout our university.
- Compare our excellent benefits packages to your current university and see for yourself that we offer a great total compensation package.
- Total Compensation Calculator (9 and 12 month positions)
- Full-time teaching and research positions, .50-1.0 FTE (full time equivalency), are represented by the American Association of University Professors (AAUP).
- Part-time faculty or adjuncts, less than .49 FTE, are represented by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and have benefits available to them through the collective bargaining agreement. Part-time faculty are hired on a fixed-term basis through each academic department. We encourage you to contact departments directly. Printer-friendly Campus Map
An array of positions falls under this category:
- Academic Professionals: These positions include advisors/counselors, academic program administrators, health and counseling services and instructional technical specialists in our academic units. These positions are represented by the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) and are benefits eligible.
- Total Compensation Calculator (choose a 12 month position)
- Administrative Management: These positions generally include deans, department chairs, directors, and other supervisory positions.
- Other Administrative positions: These positions generally include non-represented administrative staff positions in the President's Office, Finance & Administration, University Relations, and Athletics. These are generally benefits eligible and year-round 12-month positions.
These positions generally include those found in office support, technical support, campus safety, trades & maintenance. For a full listing of job titles, please refer to the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement as these positions are represented by the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) local 503, OPEU. Positions that are .50 FTE (full-time equivalency) and above are benefits eligible.
Temporary classified staff are hired to fill emergency, non-recurring, or short-term classified workload needs. Employment is generally limited to no more than 1,040 hours in a 12-month period.
Hourly student positions have a registration requirement of 5 graduate credits or 6 undergraduate credits. Graduate Assistantships have additional criteria for eligibility. For details, please see the Graduate Assistantship Terms of Appointment.
You may contact Portland State University departments directly for volunteer opportunities available in their office/department. If you are chosen for a volunteer assignment or courtesy faculty appointment you will be asked to submit a completed Volunteer Indemnification form for State of Oregon insurance. This will provide basic insurance coverage for liability and personal injury/illness.