Communication & Problem-Solving
We understand that conflicts are a normal part of working together and that issues may arise between you and your peers or you and your manager. At PSU one of our Values is to foster a climate of mutual respect that supports diversity, different beliefs and points of view and the open exchange of ideas. In circumstances where conflicts arise, this value combined with PSU's Professional Standards of Conduct Policy provide guidance on how to problem-solve with others. While it is important to keep an open line of communication with your supervisor, if the concern relates to them and you feel uncomfortable speaking with them, there are other resources to help. If your concerns are due to unlawful harassment or discrimination this is expressly prohibited under our Professional Standards of Conduct Policy and Sexual Harassment Policy. Refer to the Policies & Contracts section of this site for the full list of PSU policies.
The staff in the Office of Human Resources are here to help you solve problems and work out the best way to assist with communications with both your supervisor and fellow employees. Below are some links to lead you to the specific resource you need:
- Office of Human Resources - Contact 503.725.4926 and ask for an Employee Relations Representative.
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity (AA/EO) - Global Diversity & Inclusion-Global Diversity and Inclusion offers support, information and advice to the Portland State community on how to work to make our campus a welcoming place for everyone.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)- Provides access for benefits-eligible employees to trained counselors to aid in problem-solving, whether issues are at work or outside of work.
- Employee Unions - If you are a represented employee you may also access assistance through your Union. Below are the collective bargaining agreements for PSU's represented employees.
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 503 - Represents classified employees.
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP) - Represents full-time faculty.
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Local 3571 - Represents adjunct faculty.
- International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees - Represents Theatrical Stage Employees