Faculty bio-Chia Yin Hsu
Fields of Expertise:
Late Imperial and early Soviet Russian migration to the Russian Far East and North Manchuria
Imperial expansion and Russian colonialism in China
Ethnicity and nationality in late Imperial and early Soviet Russia
- “Russian Resorts and European Leisure: Railroad Vacations, ‘Native’ Sites, and the Making of a Russian (Post)Colonial Identity in Manchuria, 1920s-1930s,” in Heels and Wheels: Migration, Mobility, and Identity in Central and Eastern Europe and Eurasia, ed. Jan Musekamp, Anika Walke, Nicole Svobodny (Indiana University Press: forthcoming)
- The Cultural History of Money and Credit: A Global Perspective, co-edited with Thomas M. Luckett and Erika Vause (Lexington Books, 2016)
- "The 'Color' of Money: The Ruble, Competing Currencies, and Conceptions of Citizenship in Manchuria and the Russian Far East, 1890s-1920s," Russian Review 73 (January 2014): 83-110.
- “Frontier Urban and Imperial Dreams: The Chinese Eastern Railroad and the Creation of a Russian Global City, 1890s–1917,” in Russia in Motion: Cultures of Human Mobility Since 1850, ed. John Randolph and Eugene M. Avrutin (University of Illinois Press, 2012), 43-62.
- “Railroad Technocracy, Extraterritoriality, and Imperial Lieux de Mémoire in Russian Émigrés’ Manchuria, 1920-1930s,” Ab Imperio 2011, no. 4 (2011): 59-105.
- “Diaries and Diaspora Identity: Rethinking Russian Emigration in China,” Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History 11, no. 1 (Winter 2010): 127-44.
- “A Tale of Two Railroads: ‘Yellow Labor,’ Agrarian Colonization, and the Making of Russianness at the Far Eastern Frontier, 1890s–1910s,” Ab Imperio 2006, no. 3 (2006): 217-53.
- HST 300: Historical Imagination
- HST 375: Early Russia, 800s-1700
- HST 376: Imperial Russia, 1700s-1917
- HST 377: Soviet and Post-Soviet Russia, 1917-1990s
- HST 405/505: Readings in Russian History: Russia and Its East
- HST 407/507: Seminar: Russia and Its East: Multiethnicity and Identity, 1700s-1970s
- HST 407/507: Seminar: Empire-Building and Multiethnicity in Imperial Russia
- HST 407/507: Seminar: The Culture and Politics of Nationality in Imperial and Soviet Russia
- HST 478/578: Russian Intellectual and Cultural History I: Imperial and Early Soviet Russia
- HST 479/579: Russian Intellectual and Cultural History II: Film, History, and Soviet Identity
- HST 495/595: Comparative World History: Critiques of Positivism in 19th-20th Century Europe and Asia
- HST 495/595: Comparative World History: European Imperialism and “Colonial Laboratories” in Asia, 1800s-1930s
- HST 495/595: Comparative World History: Russian and Chinese Revolutions