Spiritual Wellness means developing a sense of purpose and meaning to life. The following are key points* to achieving Spiritual Wellness:
- Learning how to experience love, joy, and fulfillment.
- One's ethics, values, and code of living.
* These things may or may not be part of formal religion.
For information on various aspects of Spiritual Wellness, please select a link from one of the topics below:
- Discovery Health - How to get started with Meditation.
- Meditation - Use this site to answers questions regarding meditation. Learn exactly what is meditation, all the types of meditation,how it works and how you can begin practicing.
- Meditation Exercises and Resources - "Meditation done in a relaxed state is an excellent enhancement to your life. Making it a routine in your life will bring about balance and wholeness / wellness. Choose from a variety of meditation systems - Transcendental, Vipassana, Remote Viewing, Tai Chi, Kundalini Yoga and more."
- The Portland Insight Meditation Community - This link will take you to online audio guided meditations. Robert Beatty recorded four guided meditations several years ago to help listeners gain insight into aspects of the Buddha's teachings while promoting awareness within the body. These meditations are now freely available for download through this website.
- Spiritual Life Center - "The Spiritual Life Center welcomes you to come find quiet, reflection, warm community, and opportunities for social justice and service as we seek together to deepen our connection with the Divine. We are an ecumenical Christian and interfaith community—striving to learn together and engage one another so that we might actively live out our faith. Join us to collaborate in faithful living on campus and in our communities. Come and share your gifts."
- Spirituality Health - Varied site with book reviews, movie reviews, links to many aspects of spirituality.
- Step 11 - A spiritual growth community worship center designed to bring together those who are 12-steppers, including family and friends, who have worked beyond steps 1-10 and are now seeking ways to improve other ares of life using 12-step principals.
- Student Organizations - Search through this list to find campus student organizations that focus on spirituality.
- Office Yoga - "Participating in office yoga can be incredibly beneficial to the physical and spiritual self. Jobs requiring long hours in a desk, sitting can result in back pain and repetitive stress injuries. Daily anxiety and mental tension can lead to lower self confidence, increase blood pressure and be mentally destructive. Luckily, proper stretching can help alleviate the pain and allow relief overall. Office yoga is a series of movements, stretches and poses, allowing a moment of relaxation."
- The Yoga Space - A Yoga, Meditation & movement studio.
- What is Yoga? - Learn about the basics of yoga.
- Yoga Finder - Listings of various yoga studios in the Portland area.
- Yoga in the Pearl - Offers a variety of yoga classes including prenatal yoga, Pilates and healing therapies. A retail section offers clothing, books, candles, and more.
- Yoga Journal - This site contains information about Yoga and also how you can get started.
*Key points provided by Andrew P. Jenkins, Ph.D., Central Washington University.