Environmental Wellness means having an appreciation of the external environment and the role individuals play in preserving and improving environmental conditions. Just as much as your environment has an affect on you, you in turn also affect it.
For information on various aspects of Environmental Wellness, please select a link from one of the topics below:
- Breast Cancer Action - Learn about environmental factors and breast cancer. This organization raises money for awareness and research against environmental pollutants and toxic-ants that cause cancer.
- Center for Disease Control - Environmental Health (NCEH) Provides information and links about illness that can result from interactions between people and their environment. For example, asthma, diesel fumes, molds, lead in water, etc.
- Center for Environmental Citizenship - EarthNet News is the largest student environmental listserve in the U.S. and is a project of the Center for Environmental Citizenship. The weekly (monthly in the summer) action-oriented newsletter includes alerts on environmental legislation, information on corporate attacks on the environment, campus events, conferences, trainings, job announcements, and submissions from list members.
- Center for Health, Environment and Justice - This link will take you to an article about baby bottles and the risk of them being toxic. The site in general will provide you with lots of information about how to keep yourself and your environment safe and healthy.
- envirohealthaction.org - Physicians for Social Responsibility website for current issues and actions regarding national or global environmental health issues. Links to publications on issues of clean air, water, children's environmental toxins and more.
- NW Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides - Nationally renowned organization with information on pesticides.
- Oregon Chapter- Physicians for Social Responsibility - "Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR) is a non-profit educational organization committed to the elimination of nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction and the achievement of a healthy, just, and peaceful world for present and future generations. PSR is the US affiliate of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, recipient of the 1985 Nobel Peace Prize." Visit their website for an array of environmental health information.
- Smart Plastics Guide - Healthier Food Uses of Plastics - Plastic is everywhere, and super convenient...but did you know about the environmental and health risks? This will help you look at plastics in a new way!
- Carpool Match NW - Want to reduce the amount of toxins going into the air from driving? Have you thought about carpooling? This website "provide you an easy way to find others who are interested in sharing their commute in the Portland, Salem and SW Washington areas. Simply log-on and you will be guided through the matching process."
- Getting Around Portland Options - Use this website as your guide for getting around Portland. Get information about Ten Toe Express walks, Senior Strolls walks, Portland By Cycle rides and classes, Women on Bikes rides and clinics, and more!