The MSFA degree is designed for students who have already completed undergraduate accounting or finance specializations with a business degree program. Completion of all the MSFA prerequisites is essential to succeeding in the program. Prerequisites cannot be substituted by work experience or financial certifications. The following list shows the PSU courses which incoming MSFA students must complete prior to enrollment:
Required prerequisite course list:
Individuals interested in the Corporate Financial Management or Investment Management specialized tracks must complete the following classes with a grade of C- or higher prior to the start of the MSFA program.
- BA 211 Fundamentals of Financial Accounting (4 credits)
- BA 213 Decision Making with Accounting Information (4 credits)
- ACTG 381 Financial Accounting and Reporting I (4 credits)
- ACTG 382 Financial Accounting and Reporting II (4 credits)
- ACTG 383 Financial Accounting and Reporting III (4 credits)
- BA 303 Business Finance (4 credits)
- EC 201 Principles of Economics (micro economics) (4 credits)
- EC 202 Principles of Economics (macro economics) (4 credits)
- STAT 243 Introduction to Probability and Statistics I (4 credits)
- STAT 244 Introduction to Probability and Statistics II (4 credits)
Individuals interested in the Public Accounting specialized track must either have an undergraduate degree in accounting or complete the above prerequisite courses and this addtional course:
- ACTG 421 Introduction to Taxation (4 credits)
Non-accounting undergrads pursuing the Public Accounting track will also be required to take the following electives while in the MSFA program to help ensure CPA readiness:
- ACTG 522 Advanced Taxation (4 credits)
- ACTG 592 Auditing Concepts & Practices (4 credits)
To view prerequisite course descriptions, please click here.
To determine if certain courses fulfill the prerequisite requirements please submit the Transcript Evaluation Request Form to our office along with a copy of your official or unofficial transcripts. The Graduate Business Programs Office will review your transcripts for prerequisite satisfaction and notify you within two weeks.
If you are considering completing the prerequisites at another institution and are wondering if those courses will satisfy the prerequisite requirements please email the course descriptions to email@example.com