Sale and Unitrust
Are your appreciated assets such as stocks, bonds or real estate producing little or no income? If you sell them, you may pay a large capital gains tax. A sale and charitable remainder unitrust may be the solution.
How a Sale and Unitrust Works
- You give a portion of your asset.
- The asset is sold, you receive cash and the rest goes to fund your charitable trust.
- The trust provides you with income for the rest of your life.
- You may receive a charitable deduction to offset your tax on the sale.
- You get the cash you need to purchase another residence, travel or meet your daily needs.
- The unitrust provides you with income for the rest of your life and future retirement.
- The unitrust deduction gives you valuable tax savings that may reduce your tax bill this year.
- When you pass away, the remaining value in the unitrust will help PSU advance its mission of serving students.