GIS Certificate Student Orientation
If you have been accepted to the program but need to defer your enrollment to a later term, fill out
the Change of Admission Term form and bring/send it to the Geography Office for processing.
Before you start:
1. Know how to get to the PSU campus, the locations of major campus buildings, and the Geography Office (Cramer Hall Rm. 424).
2. Make a plan for the GIS courses you will take. Here is an overview of all GIS courses on PSU campus and the recommended sequences of taking them. Please note that some of the courses cannot be used toward the certificate. Before the term starts, check the postings outside the Geography office, the Geography courses webpage, or registration for course offerings.
3. Register for at least one credit for the term you are admitted (or call the Geography Office if you need to defer your start term).
4. Know the location of your classrooms.
5. Get an Access Badge (or student prox card) to access the geography computer lab. Here are the steps:
a) go to ID Services in the Neuberger Hall lobby and get a badge. (*Note: this is different from your PSU OneCard.) Tip: avoid long lines by getting your badge before the term begins any time after you are registered. We will need the 6-digit number on the badge.
b) Once you have the badge and are registered for a class, go to this site to request activate the badge: https://sites.google.com/a/pdx.edu/geog-ch469/access-form
6. Activate your ODIN (computer) account at the OIT Helpdesk, located in the basement of Smith Memorial Student Union (18 SMSU). This account allows you to log in to any PSU computer on campus, including those in the geography department labs.
During the Program:
1. If you need assistance with course planning, make an appointment with the GIS program advisor.
2. If you have transfer credits from another institution, submit a GO-11C: Proposed Transfer Credit form to the Geography Office Coordinator.
3. Take all required and elective courses for a letter grade (A-F) and achieve a cumulative PSU graduate GPA of 3.0 or higher and a cumulative program GPA of 3.0 or higher. Note that satisfactory completion of a graduate course is defined as a letter grade of B- or higher.
4. ~Revised January 2013~ If you were admitted conditionally, the GO-7 is no longer required. Instead, you must notify the GIS Certificate Program Administrator when those conditions, or prerequisites, have been satisfied. (e.g. took Geog 380 prerequisite, Grad GPA requirement met, etc.)
Before you finish:
1. The Application for Awarding of Graduate Certificate is due in the first week of the term you plan to graduate. You will find the application and instructions on the Office of Graduate Studies web page, http://www.pdx.edu/ogs/application-awarding-masters-or-doctoral-degree/.
2. The Office of Graduate Studies will notify the Geography Department about your application to graduate. If you have met all of the requirements, the Geography Department will submit the final paperwork to the Office of Graduate Studies.
If you have questions about any of this process, please feel free to contact Geoffrey Duh, GIS Certificate Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org, 503-725-3159).