Why Study Portland?
Portland, Oregon is known world-wide as a sustainable, livable metropolis. It consistently appears in "Top 10 Lists" of green and eco-friendly cities in both national and international surveys. It was the first U.S. city to enact a local plan to reduce C02 emissions and has been a pioneer in green building initiatives.
Portland's approach to sustainable urban development has been the object of much inquiry and leaders from around the globe are inspired by and talking about Portland's efforts in this arena. Does the city live up to its hype? Decide for yourself.
- We Build Green Cities
- Travel Portland
- Join Us: Greater Portland
- Finding Portland
- Street Films: Portland: Celebrating America’s Most Livable City
- Tech Town Portland
- Welcome to the World of Portland
- Portland: bobo, bio, velo [French]
- Weird Is Good: What Portland's Economy Can Teach Every City in the World (Atlantic, 2013)
- Where the Cool Kids Live (Newsweek, 2013)
- Biking and hiking, but no parking: Are Oregon’s strict planning rules stifling growth? (The Economist, 2013)
- How One Green City is Going Global (National Journal, 2013)
- In Cargo Delivery, the Three-Wheelers That Could (New York Times, 2013)
- Brookings Institution highlights Portland area for soaring exports, urges region to ship more, boosting jobs (Oregonian, 2013)