1098-T Tuition Statements for 2013
1098-T Tuition Statements for 2013 will be available on-line by January 31, 2014. Students may access 1098-T statements online at banweb.pdx.edu.
IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement
The 1098-T tax form is a statement of qualified tuition and fees charged by the Portland State University that is provided to the student as well as reported and filed with the IRS. As an eligible educational institution, PSU is required by law to provide 1098-T Tuition Statements to students who were enrolled in courses at PSU during the calendar year. The 1098-T tax form contains the qualified tuition and related expenses billed to the student by PSU during the calendar year. It also contains the amount of scholarships or grants posted to the student account during the calendar year. Qualified tuition and related expenses are defined by the IRS as “tuition and fees a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.”
1098-T Information Reported
The IRS requires each eligible educational institution to report payments received (Box 1) or amounts billed (Box 2) for qualified educational expenses. The majority of colleges and universities elect to report amounts billed for qualified educational expenses.
- Box 1. Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses: This box will be blank because PSU has elected to report amounts billed.
- Box 2. Amounts Billed for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses: This box includes Tuition, Mandatory Fees (Building Fee, Incidental Fee and Rec Center Fee), Resource Fees, Matriculation Fees, Honors College Fee, Tuition Refund Penalties, and Mandatory Fee Refund Penalties.
- Box 4. Adjustments Made for a Prior Year: This box is used to report reductions in qualified charges posted to your account during the current tax year but reported in full on a previous tax year.
- Box 5. Scholarships or Grants. This box reports the amount of scholarships or grants posted to your account during the calendar year.
- Box 6. Adjustments to Scholarships or Grants for a Prior Year: This box is used to report reductions to scholarships or grants posted to your account during the current tax year but reported in full on a previous tax year.
- Box 7. Checkbox for Amounts for an Academic Period Beginning in January through March of 2_ _ _ (the following calendar year): This box will be checked if qualified tuition and related expenses are billed in one year, but the academic period begins January through March of the following year. Example: Winter term charges are billed in December but classes begin in January.
- Box 8. Check if at Least Half-Time Student: This box will be checked if the student was at least a half-time student during any academic period during the calendar year.
- Box 9. Check if a Graduate Student: This box will be checked if the student was a graduate student; if the student was enrolled in a program or programs leading to a graduate-level degree, graduate level certificate, or other recognized graduate level educational credential.
Students should be able to access and print any 1098-T Tuition Statement for which information was supplied by PSU. Those forms are available online through banweb.pdx.edu under Student Services / Student Account / Tax Notification.
Students can request duplicate copies by contacting a representative in Student Accounts at 503-725-3440 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
The following information is required to process your request: the student's name and PSU ID number, tax year of the 1098-T that you are requesting and verification of the address on file in order for the duplicate 1098-T to be mailed.
Portland State University employees cannot offer tax advice. However, if you have questions about the information provided on form 1098-T, you may contact a Portland State University representative at 503-725-3400 or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.