Search Google Appliance

Outside Funding

Click on Veterans Benefits and Americorps Awards for more information on either of these programs that provide outside funding to students.

Students are required to report any outside resources to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships. The term "resources" includes, but is not limited to:

  • graduate assistantship
  • scholarship, fellowships or grant-in-aid from PSU or other outside agency
  • tuition remission or tuition waiver
  • funding from other agencies, such as veterans benefits, vocational rehabilitation payments, or employer tuition payment/reimbursement
  • non-federal alternative loans
  • financial aid received at another school during previous and/or current school year

Students may report outside resources by completing an Outside Funding form.

External Scholarships

External scholarship awarding organizations should send scholarship payment, along with a letter including the student's name and student ID number, to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships so the funds can be applied to the student's account along with other financial aid.  Any disbursement requirements, such as enrollment requirements, should also be included in the letter.  Scholarship checks should be made out to Portland State University and mailed to:

Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships

PO Box 851

Portland, OR 97207-0851

If a scholarship organization requires enrollment confirmation before sending funds, students may print a copy of their enrollment confirmation from the National Student Clearinghouse.  The Office of the Registrar sends enrollment information to the Clearinghouse once the term begins and then updates it throughout the term.

If a scholarship organization requires PSU to provide protected information, such as grades, billing or a needs analysis form, the student must first submit to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships a completed Request for Release of Confidential Information form.  This form must be submitted in-person with valid photo ID, or may be sent via fax or email, including a copy of the student's government-issued photo ID with signature.

If a scholarship organization requires an invoice to issue payment, the student should instead contact Third Party Billing in Student Financial Services at