How to apply for benefits
How to apply for benefits at the Veteran Affairs website
In 2009, Congress passed legislation that prohibits colleges and universities from considering veterans’ benefits as a financial resource when they evaluate student eligibility for federal need-based financial aid. To ensure that PSU students with comparable financial circumstances are treated equitably with respect to university need-based aid, however, the PSU Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships takes into account veterans’ benefits for tuition and books when determining eligibility for institutional grant funds. If you apply for financial aid and you wish to be considered for university grants and scholarships, you may be asked to supply information about veterans’ educational benefits you receive.
Since there are a number of different education programs offered by the VA, student veterans must know under which program they desire to establish eligibility.
Veterans may apply for the following VA Educational Programs:
- Montgomery GI Bill/Active Duty (Chapter 30)
- Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
- Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
- Montgomery GI Bill / Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)
- Post-9/11 GI Bill: Yellow Ribbon Program