Film and Video Guidelines
Commercial filming and photography on Portland State University's campus is welcome. All use of PSU campus properties, buildings and grounds, trademarks and logos in commercial filming, advertising and video taping activities must be approved and coordinated through Scott Gallagher in University Communications and adhere to the following policy and fees.
1. All commercial filming and photographing done on the Portland State University campus must be coordinated through the University Communications Office. These guidelines do not apply to legitimate news or athletic related films and photos taken by photographers working in cooperation with University Communications Office or the Athletic Department.
2. Portland State University's name, in most instances, will not be used in the script or in publicity about a commercial project. All scripts and photo shots are subject to approval from the University Communications Office prior to any filming. Identifiable buildings, landmarks, facilities, trademarks, and logos may not be photographed unless specifically permitted. Commercials, which feature identifiable University properties, are expressly forbidden without approval. Precaution is taken to ensure the University does not appear to sponsor or endorse commercial ventures through any commercial filming or photographing activities.
3. The intent of this policy is to ensure the University retains the benefit and control of its image and that any external use of that image is made only with the express approval and consent of the University and only under circumstances benefiting the University, its students and personnel, or its educational mission.
Requirements of Consent
1. When commercial photographs or films are to be taken on campus, a written contract, necessary use permits, required fees, and insurance coverages must be obtained prior to any filming activity. Portland State University prefers to negotiate contracts with a minimum of two weeks advance notice and reserves the right to deny contract negotiations if the timeliness factor is not observed.
2. While Portland State University encourages filming ventures when they benefit the University's programs and public image, care must be taken to ensure that normal routines are not unduly interrupted. Coordination must be maintained between a number of University groups to ensure interruptions to the University's schedule are minimized.
1. The University Communication Office and Contracts office shall be responsible for the implementation and interpretation of the Section and for negotiating the required contracts.
Standard Filming and Photography Fees for PSU Campus
- Scouting Fee: $150 per appointment
- Contract Processing Fee REQUIRED $175.00 per contract
- Filming Rights Fees
- Motion Pictures/Television: $2000.00 per day
- TV commercial-advertising: $2000.00 per day
- Use of Indoor Facilities: Additional Cost-Negotiated with Department
- PSU Sponsored Films: No Fee
- Documentary Films: $ 400.00 per day
- Photographs/On-campus Photo Shoots
- Advertising Photos: $2,000.00 per day, $1,000.00 half day
- Non-Commercial Photos: $ 200.00 per day, $ 100.00 half day
- PSU Sponsored Photos: No Fee
- Other Cost Involved:
- Public Safety Officers: Billed at actual cost (if necessary)
- Facilities rental fees: Billed at actual cost (Generally charged for indoor spaces and are in addition and separate from location fees)
- Parking: Billed at actual cost
- Physical Plant Personnel: Billed at actual cost
- Catering: Negotiated with Dining Services
All fees shown above are not to exceed maximum amounts. Fees may be lowered and/or waived at the sole discretion of Portland State University.