PERSONAL REIMBURSEMENTS (purchases made with personal funds)
- Although use of a Departmental Procurement Card or PSU's centralized billing vendors is preferable for the purchase of goods, there are instances when employees need to use personal funds for PSU business and subsequently get reimbursed by the University.
- Personal funds are not to be used for services.
- Items reimbursed are property of Portland State University or grant agency.
- Reimbursements must be submitted for payment within 90 days of incurring the cost and in the current fiscal year so that the costs will be recorded appropriately.
To ensure adequate documentation and no duplication of payment for business-related purchases made. Most common reimbursements are hosting and operating supplies. Equipment should be purchased through appropriate department purchasing process.
Purchases will be reimbursed by PSU when the following documentation is provided:
- Original itemized receipt.
- Business purpose (benefit to PSU).
- Proof of payment by the employee or student. This could be a cancelled check, copy of credit card statement or other receipt showing the person's name. If using a credit card statement, black out the card number.
- Physical location of the goods must be clearly stated on the reimbursement request.
- Complete the personal reimbursement request form.
- Signature of claimant required.
- Signature of authorized departmental approve is required. It is preferred to have Department or Unit Head signature. Approver needs to be someone other than requestor. Signature stamps are not allowed for reimbursements.
Additional information required for:
Memberships require name, date, institutional or individual membership.
Hosting requires the names of the people hosted. See Hosting Limit Guidelines on page 9 of the BAO Purchasing Guide. Alcoholic beverages are generally not allowed.
Internet Purchases requires proof of receipt of goods (packing slip), date received, delivery address must be a PSU address.
For additional purchasing guidelines please refer to the BAO Purchasing Guide.