Portland State University School of Social Work
The 2011 Charles Shireman Memorial Lecture by
Dr. Tony Biglan
We Can Reduce Crime, Drug Addiction, Depression, and Academic Failure in Oregon through Evidence-Based Preventive Interventions.
Summarizing the findings of the recent Institute of Medicine Report on prevention.
Thursday, February 24
4:30-6:30 p.m. (lecture begins at 5 p.m.)
School of Social Work, Donna Beegle Community Classrooms
Academic and Student Recreation Center, 6th Floor
1800 SW 6th Avenue, Portland
This event is free and open to the public. Please RSVP To: 2011shiremanlecture.eventbrite.com
Leticia Cortinas or (503) 725-9914
Over the past 30 years, preventive interventions have been developed with the potential to bring about a significant reduction in the rates of most psychological, behavioral, and health problems in Oregon. The recent Institute of Medicine report on prevention shows that—from the prenatal period through adolescence—family, school, and community interventions are available to prevent multiple problems. Dr. Biglan was a member of the committee that wrote the IOM report. He will describe the growing efforts in Oregon to make effective prevention a reality.
Dr. Biglan is a Senior Scientist at Oregon Research Institute, Principal Investigator of the Teacher Welbeing Project, Director of the Center on Early Adolescence, and Co-Principal Investigator of the Promise Neighborhoods Research Consortium. He has been conducting research on the prevention of adolescent problem behaviors including numerous experimental evaluations of interventions to prevent tobacco, other drug use, high-risk sexual behavior, reading failure, and aggressive social behavior.
Panel of local experts includes:
- Rick Cady, Prevention Manager, National Prevention Network Rep Addictions & Mental Health Division, Oregon Health Authority
- Mary Ellen Glynn, Executive Director, Alcohol and Drug Policy Commission
- Jean Kjellstrand, Researcher, Promise Neighborhood Research Consortium Oregon Research Institute
Co-Sponsors of the Event:
- PSU Educational Activities Speaker's Board
- New Avenues for Youth
- Portland Children's Levy
- NASW-Oregon Chapter
- PSU Center for Interdisciplinary Mentoring Research
- SSW Regional Research Institute
- Center for Improvement of Child and Family Services
- PSU Graduate School of Education
- Friends of the Children
- Legacy Health System
- Self Enhancement Inc.