Admission to the Leadership in Sustainability Education (LSE) Master’s program is a two step process. Applicants must complete one application to Portland State University graduate admissions (step 1 below) and one application to the Educational Leadership & Policy (ELP) department (step 2 below).
Before applying to our program you must:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in the highest degree earned.
Step 1) Apply for graduate admission to Portland State University
- All applicants, regardless of which ELP program they are applying for, must fill out the university application and pay the corresponding $50 fee unless you are currently enrolled in a Portland State Master’s or Doctorate program.*
- Online Graduate Admission applications can be accessed here. You can pay the $50 application fee with a credit card through the website.
- For Student Type, select: “5. Graduate Master,” and for Planned Curriculum, select either: “Education: Educational Leadership and Policy, MA OR Education: Educational Leadership and Policy, MS (the MA has a foreign language requirement).”
- Be sure to indicate the term you intend to take a course as your admission term. You must take a course the term you are admitted to the program or your admission will be automatically cancelled by the university Office of Admissions.**
- If you prefer, you can download a PDF of the Graduate Admissions application and submit it to the department along with a check for the $50 fee and your other application materials instead of submitting the online version.
Step 2) Apply online for admission to the Educational Leadership & Policy Department
- Click here to access the departmental online application. Create a free account or log in if you’ve already created one. This part of the application is free; you do not pay any money to use this service. Be sure to write down your username and password. You will be able to save and return to your application before submitting it. You will also be able to track the progress of your application through the review process after you submit it.
- Click the Create a New Application button.
- Select LSE Admissions Application from the list of choices.
- Complete both pages of the online application. Before you fill in your electronic signature, please review the Graduate School of Education Behavior and Performance Guidelines and the Portland State University Code of Student Conduct.
- Click the Submit Application Now button when you have filled in the application completely. Once you click this button, you may not go back and make changes. But remember, you must click the Submit Application Now button before the application deadline if you want to be considered.
- If you need assistance accessing the online departmental application, please email email@example.com
- If you have questions about the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Accepted students will be assessed a one-time matriculation fee if this is their first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring all application materials are received by the department by the deadlines noted below! Faculty will review applications only after all application materials have been received. A timely admission decision cannot be guaranteed for incomplete applications.
|Quarter||Priority Application Deadline|
After the application review is complete, departmental decisions will be emailed to the student and are subject to final approval by the university Office of Admissions. You will be notified of your official admission status via a mailed letter from the Office of Admissions. Only after you are officially admitted you will be able to register for courses. The whole admission process may take a minimum of up to 4 weeks to complete. Please plan accordingly.
LSE APPLICATION CHECKSHEET
Instructions concerning these documents and links to the forms are included in the online departmental application process. This check sheet is for your reference only.
A complete application includes:
❑ University Application and $50 fee (completed online or by paper form)
❑ ELP Department Application (completed and submitted online)
❑ Official transcripts (from every accredited institution ever attended, including community colleges)
❑ Current resume
❑ Personal goal statement
❑ Letters of reference (these must come directly from the reviewer)
Retention of Student Documents:
All application documents submitted to PSU become the property of the University and may not be copied or returned to a student. Transcripts from other institutions cannot be copied (PSU Bulletin, 2009-2010, p. 41). If you have any questions regarding the application process, please email email@example.com or call 503-725-4633.
*If you are already enrolled in a Portland State Master’s or Doctorate program that you have not yet completed, you may add the program you are applying for to your current program with a GO-19. This form takes the place of the Graduate Admissions form and corresponding $50 fee. You can download a GO-19 here: http://www.pdx.edu/ogs/forms.
**It is a University requirement that students register and pay for at least one credit in the term they are admitted. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of your admission. If you need to change the term for which you intend to begin classes after you have submitted your application, please contact the ELP Department at 503-725-4633 to discuss your options.
PSU supports equal opportunity in admissions, education, and use of facilities by prohibiting discrimination in those areas based on age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion and sexual orientation. This policy implements state and federal law (including Title IX), and inquiries about it should be directed to the Affirmative Action Office, 122 Cramer Hall. A major goal of this department is to provide a diverse pool of qualified applicants for educational leadership and administrative positions in Oregon. African, Asian, Native Americans, Hispanics, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.