Learning Gardens Laboratory
Cultivating a sustainable future through
The Learning Gardens Lab supports academic achievement, leadership development, and local sustainable food systems by providing multicultural, interdisciplinary, intergenerational, and experiential garden-based education for public school students and their families, university students, and community members.
Donate! Want to make a tax-deductible donation to LGL? Click here to donate.
What we do
- Garden-based education with 150 Lane Middle School sixth graders- 3 days a week. Sixth graders learn science, social studies and sustainability in the garden!
- Courses and workshops for PK-12 educators about how to create garden-based sustainability curriculum. For more information contact: Sybil Kelley at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Service-learning capstone courses with over 100 Portland State University students each year. Check out this beautiful capstone LGL cookbook project at The Merry Melting Pot Manual
- Hands-on gardening and sustainable living skills with local neighbors in the Lane Family Garden and the OSU Master Gardener Demonstration Garden
- Community events open to everyone: The fall Harvest Festival and the April Earth Day Festival – click here for more information about volunteering
- Economic development and a local sustainable food system development through our Farmer in Residence program and through OSU Extension’s Beginning Urban Farming Apprenticeship Program
And more! Click here for a full overivew of the LGL.
Want to visit with a group?
Bring a group to LGL for a garden-based education tour, a service-learning activity, or other educational experience. We can work with you to customize a learning experience that is just right for your group. To make arrangements, contact our volunteer coordinator at email@example.com. We request a $5/per person donation to LGL for all group visits.
Want to volunteer?
We’d love to have you! Visit our volunteer page for weekly drop in hours and monthly work party dates.
The LGL is located in SE Portland on 60th Ave (across from Brentwood Park between Duke and Flavel)
6801 SE 60th Ave.
Portland, OR 97206 USA