Learning Gardens Laboratory
Cultivating a sustainable future through
The Learning Gardens Lab supports academic achievement, leadership development, and local sustainable food systems by providing multicultural, interdisciplinary, intergenerational, and experiential garden-based education for public school students and their families, university students, and community members.
All programs at LGL are coordinated by a staff team of graduate students in the Leadership for Sustainability Education program.
Donate! Want to make a tax-deductible donation to LGL?Donate here.
What we do
- Garden-based education with Lane Middle School students. Students learn science and sustainability in the garden!
- Courses and workshops for PK-12 educators about how to create garden-based sustainability curriculum. For more information contact: Sybil Kelley at email@example.com
- Service-learning capstone courses with over 100 Portland State University students each year. Watch a video about the PSU Capstone program, and check out this beautiful capstone LGL cookbook project at The Merry Melting Pot Manual
- Digital story telling projects with PSU freshmen as part of a year long Freshman Inquiry course: Watch Sustainability as a Process; Curiosity; and Farmstand
- Hands-on gardening and sustainable living skills with local neighbors in the Lane Family Garden and the OSU Master Gardener Demonstration Garden
- Community Farm Stand: Visit the LGL community farm stand on SE 60th each Wednesday (June-Oct) from 3:30-6:30 for fresh produce, grown with love at LGL.
- Community events open to everyone: The fall Harvest Festival and the April Earth Day Festival. Read more information about volunteering here.
- Economic development and a local sustainable food system development through our Farmer in Residence program and through OSU Extension’s Beginning Urban Farming Apprenticeship Program
And more! View a full overview of the LGL here.
Want to visit with a group?
Bring a group to LGL for a garden-based education tour, a service-learning activity, or other educational experience. We can work with you to customize a learning experience that is just right for your group. To make arrangements, contact our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. We request a $5/per person donation to LGL for all group visits.
Want to volunteer?
We’d love to have you! Visit our volunteer page for weekly drop in hours and monthly work party dates.
The LGL is located in SE Portland on 60th Ave (across from Brentwood Park between Duke and Flavel)
6801 SE 60th Ave.
Portland, OR 97206 USA