Initial Administrator License (IAL) - Admissions
Admission to the Initial Administrator License (IAL) or Master’s plus Initial Administrator License (MS+IAL) program is a two step process. Applicants must complete one application to Portland State University graduate admissions (Step 1 below) and one application to the Department of Educational Leadership & Policy (Step 2 below).
Before applying to our program, applicants must:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in the highest degree earned.
- Possess a current Oregon teaching or personnel service license
- Three years of successful licensed teaching or personnel service experience
- Have support from your principal to be your mentoring supervisor for the 360-hour practicum requirement
- Possess a master’s degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 unless you are applying to the MS+IAL program
Step 1) Apply for graduate admission to Portland State University
- All applicants, regardless of which ELP program they are applying to, must fill out the university application and pay the corresponding $50 fee unless the applicant is currently enrolled in another Portland State Master’s or Doctorate program.
- Online Graduate Admission applications can be accessed here. You can pay the $50 application fee with a credit card through the website.
- For Student Type, select: “5. Graduate Master.” IAL ONLY students select: “Education: Educational Leadership and Policy, MS" for Planned Curriculum.” Even though you won’t be earning a master’s degree, selecting this option triggers the application for graduate admission. MS + IAL students select either: “Education: Educational Leadership and Policy, MA OR Education: Educational Leadership and Policy, MS (the MA has a foreign language requirement).”
- Apply for the term you intend to start taking the cor or prerequisite courses. See the deadline schedule below. You must take a course the term you are admitted to the program or your admission will be automatically cancelled by the university Office of Admissions.**
- If you prefer, you can download a PDF of the Graduate Admissions application and submit it to the department along with a check for the $50 fee and your other application materials instead of submitting the online version.
Step 2) Apply online for admission to the Educational Leadership & Policy Department
- Click here to access the departmental online application. Create a free account or log in if you’ve already created one. This part of the application is free; you do not pay any money to use this service. Be sure to write down your username and password. You will be able to save and return to your application before submitting it. You will also be able to track the progress of your application through the review process after you submit it.
- Click the Create a New Application button.
- Select IAL Admissions Application from the list of choices.
- Complete both pages of the online application. Before you fill in your electronic signature, please review the Graduate School of Education Behavior and Performance Guidelines and the Portland State University Code of Student Conduct.
- Click the Submit Application Now button when you have filled in the application completely. Once you click this button, you may not go back and make changes. But remember, you must click the Submit Application Now button before the application deadline if you want to be considered.
- If you need assistance accessing the online departmental application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have questions about the application process, please email email@example.com
Tuition and fees
The cost for the program follows graduate tuition fees. Click here for information on available scholarships, financial aid, and estimated program costs. Students must also take from 4 to 8 credits of prerequisites.* These fees do not include the cost for the course reading materials.
Accepted students will be assessed:
- A one-time matriculation fee if this is your first admission to a graduate program at PSU as of Fall 2009.
Enrollment in each cohort is limited. The earlier you apply, the better your chance of being admitted to the cohort of your choice. Students are responsible for taking both prerequisite courses before beginning the fall cohort.
|Initial Administrative License||Student must take ELP 569 and 511 prior to beginning the cohort in the Fall term.||
Fall start: Applications are being accepted now for the fall term, and will be accepted until the programs are filled.*
|Master’s Degree with Initial Administrative License||Student must take 20 Professional Studies Core credits prior to beginning the cohort in the Fall term. For this reason, Winter term is the last term an MS student can be admitted.||
Winter term: Nov 1
*Students must complete 1-2 prerequisite(s) before fall term.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring all application materials are received by the department! Faculty will review applications only after all application materials have been received. Departmental decisions will be emailed to you and are subject to final approval by the university Office of Admissions. You will be notified of your official admission status via a mailed letter from the Office of Admissions. After you are officially admitted you will be able to register for courses. The whole admission process may take a minimum of up to four weeks to complete. Please plan accordingly.
IAL application check sheet
Instructions concerning these documents and links to the forms are included in the online departmental application process. This check sheet is for your reference only.
A complete application includes:
❑ Graduate Admission Application and $50 fee (completed online or by paper form)
❑ ELP Department Application (completed and submitted online)
❑ Official transcripts (from every accredited institution ever attended, including community colleges)
❑ Current resume
❑ Personal goal statement
❑ Letters of reference (these must come directly from the reviewer)
❑ Copy of teaching license
❑ Designation of Mentor form
Retention of Student Documents:
All application documents submitted to PSU become the property of the University and may not be copied or returned to a student. Transcripts from other institutions cannot be copied (PSU Bulletin, 2009-2010, p. 41). If you have any questions regarding the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-725-4633.
*If you are already enrolled in a Portland State Master’s or Doctorate program that you have not yet completed, you may add the program you are applying for to your current program with a GO-19. This form takes the place of the Graduate Admissions form and corresponding $50 fee. You can download a GO-19 here: www.pdx.edu/ogs/forms.
**It is a University requirement that students register and pay for at least one credit in the term they are admitted. Failure to do so will result in automatic cancellation of your admission. If you need to change the term for which you intend to begin classes after you have submitted your application, please contact the ELP Department at 503-725-4633 to discuss your options.
PSU supports equal opportunity in admissions, education, and use of facilities by prohibiting discrimination in those areas based on age, color, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, religion and sexual orientation. This policy implements state and federal law (including Title IX), and inquiries about it should be directed to the Affirmative Action Office, 122 Cramer Hall. A major goal of this department is to provide a diverse pool of qualified applicants for educational leadership and administrative positions in Oregon. African, Asian, Native Americans, Hispanics, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.