Graduate Certificate in Service-Learning and Community-Based Learning in Postsecondary Education
The Graduate Certificate in Service-Learning and Community-Based Learning in Postsecondary Education consists of an 18-credit series of coursework that focuses on providing sound philosophical, theoretical, and experiential preparation in service-learning and community engagement for those who teach, coordinate, and/or research learning through community involvement with college students.
The certificate is designed for
- Master's and Doctoral graduate students interested in pursuing careers in service-learning and community-based learning at postsecondary educational institutions and community organizations
- Professionals in colleges and universities, both faculty and student affairs professionals in two-and four-year colleges
- Professionals in community organizations who sponsor and offer service-learning opportunities
Certificate learning objectives
The objectives of the program are to prepare professional educators of adults and community members who:
- Are knowledgeable about service-learning and community engagement
- Are committed to meeting the needs of diverse learners
- Base their teaching strategies on current research findings and theoretical frameworks about service-learning and engagement
- Are prepared experientially to engage in service-learning activities
Program of study
Click here to register for current term courses.
|ELP 542 Introduction to Service-Learning and Community-Based Learning in Postsecondary Education||4||Hybrid|
|ELP 543 Service-Learning in Postsecondary Educational Leadership and Policy: Domestic Issues||4||Hybrid|
|ELP 549 Service-Learning in Educational Leadership and Policy - International||4||F2F/
|ELP 522 Teaching Diverse Adult Learners||4||F2F|
|ELP 536 Postsecondary Curriculum||4||F2F||Online|
|ELP 528 Leadership in Postsecondary Education||4||F2F|
|Elective Courses (Choose one)
Any ELP course 511-599 can count as an elective. Refer to the PACE Planning and Course Guide for current offerings and delivery formats (online, hybrid, F2F).
|ELP 506 Culminating Project (Self-Directed Learning Experience)||2||Online||Online||Online|
"Online" Courses are completely online
"F2F" Courses are on campus options
Begin your application process: pdx.edu/elp/pace-graduate-certificate-admissions
Length of program
Intended time to complete: 3 terms
Service Learning Certificate Coordinator
1-800-547-8887 ext 54682
For information about the PACE master's degree, please visit http://www.pdx.edu/elp/pace-masters-degree-program-study.
Click here for information on available scholarships, financial aid, and estimated program costs.