Publications by Dr. Doug Morgan
Please note: this page is currently under construction. Broken links will be fixed ASAP. --3/2/10
- PA 582 Budgeting: Sample Department Budgets
- Ethics Case Materials: Ethical Dilemmas Faced by Public Employees
Click Here to download file in Adobe Acrobat PDF
- "Eagle Rock: The Case of the Peregrine Falcon"
Click Here to download case in Microsoft Word
- PA 510--State & Local Government--Winter 2007--Course Readings: Syllabus; Bend Juvenile Justice Case; Salmon Case Study; Baker County Comeback; Washington County VisionAction Network Case; Multnomah County Juvenile Justice Case ; Housing Case
- Budget book (this is a microsoft word document and may take a while to download)
Click here to download in Adobe PDF Budget book (This document will not take as long to download)
Click here to download as a compressed zip file, you will need software on your computer to unzip Budget book (This document will download the quickest, if you have the proper software on your computer)
- "Administrative Abuses in Search of Legal Recognition: Ethical Pnumbras and Legal Conundrums", ASPA, Southeast Regional Conference, October 14-17, 1981; subsequent version published as "Varieties of Administrative Abuse: Some Reflections on Ethics and Discretion", 19 Administration and Society (November 1987), pp. 267-284.
- "Administrative Discretion and Bureaucratic Statesmanship: Serving the Public Interest", with John A. Rohr. Presented at the ASPA National Conference, March 21-25, 1982. Subsequent version publicshed as "Traditional Responses to American Administrative Abuse", in Shumavon and Hibbein, eds. Administrative Discretion and Public Policy Implementation (Praeger, 1986), pp. 211-232.
- "Bureaucracy and the American Constitution: Can the Triumph of Instrumentalism Be Reversed?"Public Administration Review. Sept/Oct 1998, vl. 58, no. 5. Page 453.
- "Constitutional Stewarship, Phroneisis and the American Administrative Ethos", with Henry D. Kass. Presented at the PATNET Conference, April, 1990, Los Angeles, CA. Subsequently publised as "Legitimating Administrative Discretion Trhough Constititional Stewardship", in Ethical Frontiers in Public Management. James Bowman, ed. (Jossey-Bass 1991).
- "Institutional Survival in the Postmodern Age: Administrative Practice and the American Constitutional Legacy" . Public Administration Review 18 (1996) 2: 42-56.
- "Madonna's Sex" , Administrative Theory and Praxis 15 (1993), 2: 37-51.
- The Oregon Bureaucracy(in PDF format)
Download in Microsoft Word format - Oregon Bureaucracy
- "Public Administrator as Constitutional Balance Wheel" , Presented at National Symposium of the Public Administration Theory Network, Portland, OR, April 15-16, 1988. Revised version published as "Administrative Phronesis: Discretion and the Problem of Legitimacy in Our Constitutional System" in H.D. Kass and Catron, Images and Identities in Public Administration (Sage, 1990).
- Public Service Leadership Legacies: Continuities in Conflict with Craig W. Shinn (PDF file)
- "Public Stewardship" , subsequent version published in International Enclyclopedia of Public Policy and Administration, Jay Shafritz, editor (Westview, 1998).
- "The American Odyssey of the Career Public Service: The Ethical Crisis of Role Reversal", with Henry D. Kass. Presented at Conference on Government Ethics, Park City, Utah, June 12-15, 1991. Revised version published in Ethics and Public Administration , ed. H. George Frederickson (M.E. Sharpe, 1993), Chapter 9.
- "The Public Interest" . Subsequent version published in Handbook of Administrative Ethics , ed. Cooper, pp. 125-146 (Marcel Dekker 1994).
- "Transforming Customers Into Citizens: Some Preliminary Lessons From The Field" with Dan Vizzini.
- "What Middle Managers Do in Local Government: Stewarship of the Public Trust and the Limits of Reinventing Government", with Kelly Bacon, Ron Bunch, Charles Cameron and Robert Deis Public Administration Review (July/August, 1996), pp. 359-366.