At a Glance: Service Learning in Higher Education Graduate Certificate
Strategies in community-based learning for higher education
Service-learning is changing the way students approach their communities, and in turn, the way communities think about education. In this program, you will learn sound philosophical, theoretical, and experiential practices to engage college students in service-learning projects in their communities and throughout the world. This program will help you identify and design projects that encorporate and strengthen curriculum with learning opportunities. Service-learning will engage and enlighten your students and provide unique community-based, satisfying experiences.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Learn contemporary theory, research, and best practices
- Find evidence-based strategies for effective teaching and community impact
- Acquire strategies from an online professional learning community around the world
Upon completion, you will be able to develop service-learning resources for college students. You will know how to assess teaching, students, and community project outcomes.
Who is this for?
This program is for faculty, staff, and community partners those who teach, coordinate, and/or research learning with college students.
Service-learning is an important cornerstone in today's education systems. Effective service-learning facilitates stronger communities.
- Fully online format
- 18 required credits
- Choose from U.S. or international focus areas
- Complete this certificate in 1 year or less
Getting started for the Service-Learning Graduate Certificate at PSU is easy! Apply for admission at your earliest opportunity. There are no prerequisite courses for the Service-Learning Graduate Certificate. You may begin the enrollment process in a few simple steps:
- Register any term for classes. Students may take up to 8 graduate credits at PSU without being admitted, but:
- Application procedures vary depending on whether you are a current PSU student or not. See the Service Learning admission page for details.
1-800-547-8887 ext 54706