At a Glance: Literacy Education Programs
Certificate and reading endorsements for educators
What is the most important skill you can give a child to ensure academic success and an enduring connection to their imagination? This graduate-level program is an opportunity for you to become inspired about the fundamental importance of reading. Would you like to be able to motivate young readers? If you are interested in learning how to establish a lifetime love of reading, our literacy education programs provide many options. At PSU, two literacy education endorsements offer you maximum flexibility: a customary face-to-face reading endorsement that meets on the PSU campus or in your area and a fully online reading endorsement offered through the statewide ReadOregon plan. Visit the Continuing Education website to register or to view available courses You can be that special person who gives the gift of reading to a lifelong learner.
Go to full program website:
On-campus Program | ReadOregon Online Program
As a member of this program, you will:
- Learn advanced techniques to improve abilities at all stages of reading development
- Become a specialist in reading instruction and a reading resource for your school
- Have the ability to diagnose and resolve reading difficulties
Upon completion, you will:
- Build confidence in beginning readers
- Develop resources for creating classroom literacy environments
PSU's reading endorsements and certificate programs can be combined into a Curriculum and Instruction Master's Degree.
Who is this for?
Preservice and inservice teachers, Title I teachers, reading specialists, literacy coaches, consultants, and district-level reading and language arts coordinators.
Three programs are available:
- Reading Specialist Endorsement (27 credits, on-campus)
- ReadOregon fully online reading endorsement program (24 credits)
- Literacy Education Certificate (12-credits) offered through ReadOregon
Getting started in the literacy education programs at PSU is easy. There are no prerequisite courses and you can begin the enrollment process in a few simple steps:
- Contact an on-campus or online adviser
- Apply for admission to the on-campus or online program
- Register for a reading course in the same term you apply for admission to PSU
On-campus program contact
Online program contact