Library Media Master's Degree
Professional development for school librarians
Are you interested in an advanced degree in school library media? This master's degree program will give you all the skills you need to be a successful administrator in the contemporary school library. With a master's in library media, you will learn to plan programs, organize your library, design instruction, oversee production, facilitate research, and manage personnel. This program features opportunities to network with other successful librarians and provides rich experiences that prepare you to administer a school library.
This program is based on the standards of the American Library Association (ALA) and is designed to take advantage of your existing skills as a classroom teacher or library media specialist.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Become a skilled professional in all aspects of running a school library media center
- Know the latest trends in programming for the modern school library
- Better meet the needs of students and staff in the library
Upon completion, you will be prepared to take the Library Media Praxis Exam.
Who is this for?
This program is intended for:
- Classroom teachers who wish to add a library endorsement to their current teaching license
- Library specialists who wish to acquire a master's degree
- Anyone interested in specializing in school libary media
- Campus-based and partially online
- 45 required credits
- Ask about our distance options
- Start any time
Getting started on your Library Media Master's at PSU is easy! There are three prerequisite courses for the endorsement, which is the initial part of the master's degree: CI 432 Computer Applications for the Classroom, LIB 428/528 Children's Literature, and LIB 429/529 Young Adult Literature. These courses are offered multiple times during the year and can be taken any time prior to your graduate admission. You can take up to eight credits per term at PSU as a non-admitted student.
- Register for the first class at 1-800-547-8887 ext 59968
- For online classes you will need a PSU online course account
- Register for the Library Media mailing list to get the latest information on upcoming events and courses