At a Glance: Library Media Endorsement
Add to your current teaching license
Have you always loved working with books and media? Would you like to move from a classroom teacher assignment into a school library? This program unlocks the door to the intricacies of the modern school library, qualifing you to operate a school library of your own. This program is based on the standards of the American Library Association (ALA) and is designed to take advantage of your existing skills as a classroom teacher. You could be an extraordinary K-12 library media specialist!
As a member of this program, you will:
- Become a capable K-12 library media specialist
- Know the latest strategies for using technology in the modern school library
- Understand current trends in children's and young adult literature
- Better meet literacy needs of multicultural students in the library
Upon completion, you will be prepared to take the Library Media Praxis Exam, and you will be recommended for an endorsement through the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
With just 16 additional credits you can earn a library media master's degree!
Who is this for?
This program is intended for classroom teachers who wish to add a library endorsement to their current teaching license.
- Campus-based and partially online
- 29 required credits
- Ask about our distance options
- Start any time
Getting started in the Library Media Endorsement classes at PSU is easy! There are two prerequisite courses: CI 432 Computer Applications for the Classroom, LIB 428/528 Children's Literature, or LIB 429/529 Young Adult Literature. These courses are offered multiple times during the year and can be taken any time prior to your graduate admission. You can take up to eight credits per term at PSU as a non-admitted student.
- Visit the Continuing Education website to register or to view available courses
- For online classes you will need a PSU online course account
- Register for the Library Media mailing list to get the latest information on upcoming events and courses
Campus and partially online
- Instructional Technology Certificate of Completion
- Library Media Master's Degree
- Children's and Young Adult Literature Graduate Certificate
- Library Media Initial K-12 License
- ReadOregon Online Reading Endorsement
- Reading Programs