PSU's online graduate scholarship application for the 2016-17 academic year is now closed. Award notifications for the 2016-17 academic year were emailed by PSU's Financial Aid Office in March 2016. The PSU graduate scholarship application will open again on October 1, 2016.
- October 1, 2016: PSU's online graduate scholarship application opens - time to start your application!
- December 8: Financial Aid & Scholarship Information Session, time and location TBA
- January 5, 13, 20, and 27 at 6pm: Scholarship Information Sessions, time and location TBA
- February 1, 2017 at 11:59pm PST: PSU's online graduate scholarship application closes; your application must be complete to be considered.
- By the end of March 2017: Award recipients will be notified
Financial Aid & Scholarship Information Session
Not sure about the TEACH grant or what the difference is between GSE, PSU, and community scholarships? Attend the free financial aid information session on December 8 (time and location TBA), where GSE and Financial Aid staff will present on the various forms of financial aid.
Scholarship Information Sessions
Do you want to learn more about the scholarships offered by the GSE? Would you like some tips to tailor your scholarship application? Attend a scholarship information session in January and get the inside scoop on what the selection committee looks for in successful applications and essays.
Scholarships in the GSE
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) awards over 50 scholarships to incoming and current students in master's, doctoral, and/or licensure programs. Just complete one online application* and you will automatically be considered for all applicable GSE scholarships. To read about the specific scholarships awarded through GSE, check out the PSU database of scholarships. For questions, contact GSE_Scholarships@pdx.edu.
- All incoming and current GSE students
- In master's, doctoral, and/or licensure programs
- Attending any term of the next academic year (2017-18)
Online Scholarship Application
Apply for all GSE scholarships (except those noted above) through PSU's online graduate scholarship application. Complete this one application, and based on your responses you will be considered for all scholarships for which you meet the criteria. You may also choose to complete applicable parts of the Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) section to be considered for OGS-administered funds such as the Laurels Graduate Award.
- The keys to a strong scholarship application are early preparation, thoughtful writing, and a complete scholarship application.
- Confirm first with the people you plan invite to write your recommendations. Once you have entered their information into the scholarship application, check with them to be sure that they received the automated email inviting them to complete your recommendation online. Then, follow up with them well in advance of the deadline to ensure that they complete your recommendations before February 1st.
- It is important to complete all the essay questions applicable to you with thorough, accurate, and thoughtful responses, and with correct spelling and grammar. Draft your essay responses offline (such as in Word) and have someone else give feedback before you finalize and enter them into the scholarship application.
- You must click "Submit application" when you are done filling in the online scholarship application!
Starting your application
- Visit PSU's online scholarship application. If you are a first time user, click "Create Account" and note your username and password so you will be able to log in again later. Or, if you have already created an online PSU scholarship application account, click "Log in here" with your username and password.
- Read through the application first to familiarize yourself with its sections (the application is updated every year). Gather the information you will need to complete the application. Jot down the essay questions which apply to you.
- Complete the PSU Graduation Application section, and the Graduate School of Education section. You may also choose to complete applicable parts of the Office of Graduate Studies section.
Saving and returning
The scholarship application may seem lengthy, but you can stop, save your work, and come back to your application at any time. Be sure to hit "Save & Logout" before you exit.
Finishing your application
You must click "Submit application" when you are done with your application, or your application will not be sent for consideration. Note: you may do this before your recommendations are all submitted. By clicking "Submit application," you indicate that you have finished your entry in the application. After you do this, your recommenders may still submit their recommendations up until February 1, 2017 at 11:59pm PST. However, once you hit the "Submit application" button, you will not be able to change anything you entered in your application, so only do this when you are sure you are finished (but don't put it off and forget to do it!).
Award Notifications and Disbursements
Official notification of scholarship and other financial aid awards will come from the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships via email during the month of March. Scholarship disbursements generally begin Fall term, and your disbursement schedule will be outlined in the Award Overview in your student account in Banweb.
If you have questions about the GSE section of the online application or other aspects of GSE scholarships, contact GSE_Scholarships@pdx.edu.
If you have questions about the PSU Graduate section of the online application or other aspects of financial aid, please contact the PSU Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-725-3461.