GSE Philosophy & Priorities
GSE Philosophy (Guiding Principles)
- We create and sustain educational environments that serve all students and address diverse needs.
- We encourage and model exemplary programs and practices across the life span.
- We build our programs on the human and cultural richness of the University’s urban setting.
- We challenge assumptions about our practice and accept the risks inherent in following our convictions.
- We model professionalism and develop collaborative efforts that foster our mission.
- We develop our programs to promote social justice, especially for groups that have been historically disenfranchised.
- We strive to understand the relationships among culture, curriculum, and practice and the long-term implications for ecological sustainability.
- We model thoughtful inquiry as a basis for sound decision making.
- Promote diversity and social justice through inclusive programs, policies, and practices.
- Conduct and apply research and other scholarly work to improve education and counseling.
- Engage and model meaningful individual and program assessment that leads to continuous program improvement.
- Develop partnerships that support high-quality clinical experiences and professional development for GSE students, faculty, and cooperating professionals.
- Maximize the effective use of technology for instruction, recruitment, assessment and scholarship.