Search Google Appliance

GSE Instructor Handbook: Course Delivery, Logistics, and Support


Portland State University currently is at capacity for classrooms. The staff in the GSE will do its best to locate a room that meets your content and delivery format needs; however, we cannot promise an "ideal" classroom. Any questions regarding classrooms that have been assigned to you should be directed to the Office of the Associate Dean for Academics at 503-725-4689. Although we do our very best to accommodate your classroom needs, as stated above, space is limited. Therefore, it is not easy to change classroom locations after they have been assigned. Please do not switch classrooms on your own because someone else may be assigned to that room at a later time or another date. A room may look vacant and not be, so please contact Stefanie Randol first.

If you experience any problems with your classroom during PSU’s business hours (M-F 9am-5pm), please contact us at 503-725-4689 or go directly to 602 GSE. If a classroom needs to be unlocked before or after regular hours, please contact Campus Security, 503-725-4407.

Textbooks or other books for courses

In most cases, the department will have a recommended text they would like you to use for the course. The department may have already ordered the textbook. Confirm this with the department chair or program coordinator.

The reauthorization of the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) requires that colleges and universities disclose, to the maximum extent practicable, on their internet course schedule the International Standards Book Number (ISBN) and retail price for required and recommended textbooks and supplemental materials for each course listed on the schedule. The intent behind this requirement is to enable students to make more fully informed decisions regarding course selections and to enable students to seek out less expensive sources from which to acquire required materials.

In order to meet this requirement all book requests must be submitted to the PSU bookstore (see Note below) by the following dates:

For Fall term, orders must be submitted to the PSU bookstore by April 15, for Winter term, orders must be submitted by October 15, for Spring term orders must be submitted by January 15 and for summer term orders must be submitted by March 15.

NOTE: Some faculty members direct students to bookstores other than the PSU Bookstore for the purchase of textbooks and course materials. That remains acceptable. However, all textbook and course material information must nonetheless also be submitted to the PSU Bookstore in order to assure that all such information is made available to students through the online course schedule as required by the HEOA. There is no requirement that students actually purchase the materials from the PSU Bookstore; in fact, one of the purposes of the law is to allow students to more effectively seek out better prices. If materials for a course are to be made available through some other forum, then such information should be submitted to the PSU Bookstore so the online information is as complete as possible. For instance, the PSU Bookstore's web page link for a particular course can indicate: "No text required," "See instructor for materials," "Coursepack available at...", "Course materials available online at www...", etc.

If you are teaching for CE/ED, contact the office specialist who assists CE/ED instructors (503-725-4707) to order your books through the PSU Bookstore.

All adjunct faculty should discuss course book selection with the appropriate chair and/or faculty mentor for the course you are teaching before you order your books to ensure that a book has not already been selected and/or the text is appropriate. When you want to order a textbook, you will need: title, author, year published, edition, and ISBN of the book. (The ISBN may be found on the copyright page of the text.)

Instructor's copies of texts are ordered through the publisher, not the Bookstore, and may require a few extra weeks to arrive. (Please keep this in mind when planning for your class.) If you are planning to use photocopied materials to substitute or supplement a textbook in your course, please see the section on copyrighted material below.

Use of Copyrighted Materials

The GSE is very careful about obtaining copyright permission by following the PSU guidelines listed in the PSU Copyrighted Print-Media Materials Use Policy section. If your use of copyrighted materials exceeds the fair use guidelines, your materials will require copyright permission before they are copied. Obtaining copyright permission can take several weeks, so please plan ahead. WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT NEEDING PERMISSION, REQUEST PERMISSION! The PSU Copyright Policy and copyright information page/FAQs will give you more information about copyright.

Electronic reserve. For GSE adjunct faculty, please contact Alan Nguyen at with a list of the materials you would like put on electronic reserves in the Millar Library. He will create an electronic reading packet. (If the PSU Library owns the materials or a subscription to the particular journal, they can put the materials available on electronic reserve.)

Reading packets. Go to the Portland State University Bookstore or to Clean Copy (SW Broadway and Mill) to have a packet developed that will include copyright permission. They request that packets are ordered at least six weeks in advance of student purchase, and they will obtain the necessary copyright clearances.

CE/ED Courses. Instructors teaching through CE/ED, should send all materials that need to be copied to the CE/ED events coordinator, the office specialist who assists CE/ED instructors at Portland State University, Graduate School of Education, CE/ED, PO Box 751 Portland, OR 97207. Please allow at least eight weeks prior to the beginning of your class. When sending materials that need copyright permission, please be sure all articles are marked with author, title, publisher, publication date, and page numbers if possible. This information will expedite the copyright permission process. Copyright permission is obtained through Millar Library (if needed for electronic reserve) or through the course pack coordinator at the PSU Bookstore or at Clean Copy. The first option will be through the Millar Library (if the materials or a subscription is owned by the Library, they will put them on electronic reserve). If that is not possible, students will be able to purchase the packet of materials at the Bookstore or Clean Copy prior to the start date of the class.

Also be familiar with PSU's Copyrighted Print-Media Materials Use Policy


Photocopying handouts for instructional use is a courtesy that the GSE is able to offer on a limited basis. Copy machines are available on every floor. You will need to get a code from the appropriate department secretary. Copies can also be submitted to the department secretary in advance (at least one full day) for duplication. Most departments will have a request form to fill out for photocopying requests.

If you are teaching through CE/ED, please send originals (that do not require copyright permission) to CE/ED at Portland State University, Graduate School of Education, CE/ED, PO Box 751 Portland, OR, 97207, at least one week before the class session in which they will be needed. Please include the title of the course and your name at the top of the material. Copies can be mailed to you or may be picked up in CE/ED before your class session. Requests for numerous handouts, articles, or packets will be sent to Millar Library for electronic reserve, the PSU Bookstore, or Clean Copy, where students can purchase the materials. If any of your materials require copyright permission, please see the section on PSU Copyrighted Print-Media Materials Use Policy. Go to PSU Copyright Policy and FAQs for more information about copyright.

Media Resources

Audiovisual Equipment

Each classroom in the Graduate School of Education and the major buildings of the University are equipped with an overhead projector. There are also three mid-tech classrooms in the GSE (212, 408, and 414) that have a computer and projector built into the room; if you are using the mid-tech rooms, please contact Mark Walker ( or 503-725-8280) for training on the equipment before your first class.

All other audiovisual equipment must be reserved for use. To reserve audiovisual equipment, please contact the Metropolitan Instructional Support Laboratory (MISL, at 503-725-4607) for courses in the GSE and Audiovisual Services (503-725-9100) for classes held in other buildings.

If you need technical assistance in classrooms outside the GSE, call 503-725- 9100 or email

If you need technical assistance in GSE classrooms:

  • Immediate assistance: call 503-725-3100 or go to the MISL (room 310)
  • Other assistance, or to report a problem in a GSE classroom: email

If you are teaching through CE/ED, please contact the event coordinator at 503-725-4707 as soon as you know what you will need or at least five working days before the class meeting. Because equipment is limited, it is important to submit requests as soon as possible. There are two places to reserve equipment, depending on where your class is being held.

Metropolitan Instructional Support Laboratory (MISL)

If your class is being held in the Graduate School of Education/School of Business, equipment will be reserved through the Metropolitan Instructional Support Laboratory (MISL) Room 310, Graduate School of Education (503-725-4607). Arrangements for reserving and picking up equipment should be made through MISL. Equipment can be picked up by the instructor prior to class time. Equipment will need to be returned to the MISL or stored in an office, by the instructor, after class.

Other Campus Buildings

If your CE/ED course is being held at Smith Memorial Student Union, CE/ED’s event coordinator will need to reserve your equipment through Smith Center Scheduling (503-725-4522) and have it delivered to your room when given a 72-hour notice.

Off Campus Courses

If your course is offered through CE/ED and being held somewhere other than the Portland State University campus, please contact the CE/ED special events coordinator (503-725-4707). She will arrange your equipment needs with an on-site coordinator at the off campus location.

Periodic Use of a Computer Lab

Use of computer technologies for teaching is also available through the Metropolitan Instructional Support Laboratory (MISL) or the Instruction and Research Services (IRS). If you are teaching through CE/ED and need a computer lab reserved for use during your class, please contact CE/ED staff at 503-725-4707. Lab use is limited and difficult to reserve, so please request a lab early.

Computer Lab-Based Courses

If you are teaching through CE/ED and your course is lab-based and will require a computer lab and specific software programs for the entire course, contact CE/ED at 503-725-4707 with your lab and software needs. The event coordinator will need to know if you prefer a Mac or PC lab and the exact software you will need for your course. Please keep in mind that the University has limited resources and rules/regulations regarding software installation, so we may not be able to meet every need. Requests for specific software must be made at least eight weeks in advance to ensure installation.

Miscellaneous Audiovisual Materials

If you want to use a film during your class, some films are available through the PSU Library. The video/DVD catalog can be viewed online.

The Metropolitan Instructional Services Lab (MISL) in the Graduate School of Education has its own video library. You can access the materials via the web. You can reserve a film through MISL. If they are from MISL, you can pick them up on your way to class.

If MISL and the CE/ED office are closed when your class ends, please check with the appropriate departmental secretary about where the materials should be left.

Putting Materials on Reserve

Reserve Library, Branford P. Millar Library, PSU

The Reserve Library must receive reserve reading lists at least four weeks prior to the start of the quarter. Lists received after that date will be processed in the order received. Instructors may place photocopies of articles (with copyright permission), homework solutions, library books, sample exams, or textbooks on reserve for students. The Reserve Library is located on the first floor of the PSU Branford P. Millar Library, next to the circulation counter. Please visit the Reserve Library web page if you have any more questions, and click on “Reserves,” under “Get It.”

Metropolitan Instructional Support Laboratory (MISL)

If you have items you would like to place on reserve in the MISL, please bring them to the lab at least a week before students will start checking them out. You will be asked to fill out a reserve slip for each item. MISL is located in room 310, Graduate School of Education. When you bring in the materials, you will be asked several questions:

  • May MISL add pockets and detection stickers?
  • How long may students keep the item?
  • May students take the materials out of the lab?

All reserve items will be returned at the end of the term unless other arrangements are made ahead of time.

Student Class Lists

When you receive your course roster, please verify that all students attending your class are registered. It is extremely important that all students are registered within the first two weeks of class. Be sure to let students know if their names do not appear on your course roster. If you did not receive a roster, you can download a list of registered students using the PSU Information System (Banweb) online:

  1. Go to
  2. Enter your User ID (PSU ID number) and PIN (date of birth, if you haven't changed your PIN)
  3. Click on Faculty Services
  4. Menu options include Detail Class List or Summary Class List

Please keep your own current class list of participants in each of your classes so that you can verify the students when it is time to report grades.

Returning Work to Students

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires us to be very careful in safeguarding our students’ right to privacy. Returning students' exams and papers by putting them in a self-serve box or envelope outside your office violates their confidentiality by making protected records available to others. This is not an acceptable practice.

Also, please do not leave returned assignments with the department secretary or receptionist to return to students who come to the front desk. Distributing returned work to students interrupts other important tasks these busy staff members have to do, and room to keep student papers and notebooks in staff workspaces is very limited.

GSE faculty can do one of the following:

  1. Return work directly to students in class:
    • Pass out assignments to students at the end of class
    • Students retrieve their work, before or at the end of class, in individual, labeled file folders or envelopes that guard the confidentiality of the work inside, under the observation of the instructor, ensuring that only the student whose name is on the label removes the material.
  2. Students arrange to pick up work from instructors outside of class.
  3. Students provide instructors with a self-addressed and stamped envelope that instructors can use to return material directly to students. (It is helpful to put a statement on the syllabus making this a course requirement.)

Faculty Absences

If you are instructing a class on the Portland State University campus, and it is absolutely necessary to miss a class, please notify the main desk by calling 503-725-4619. Class cancellations or substitute faculty must be kept to an absolute minimum

Please give as much advance notice as possible so we will be able to notify students. If your class meets in the evening (after 4pm) it is essential that you call before 3pm so that a class cancellation notice can be posted on the door of the classroom.

If you are instructing a CE/ED class off campus, and it is absolutely necessary that you miss a class, please notify us at 503-725-8279 as early as possible. We will attempt to notify students and will try and contact someone at the class site so they can post a sign.

Inclement Weather Cancellations

University procedures for advising adjunct faculty of situations requiring curtailing or canceling classes due to inclement weather are that in the event of a closure or delay in the opening of the University, a message to that effect is placed at the University switchboard number, 503-725-3000; also, every effort is made to place that information on announcements carried by local radio and television, especially AM  KOAC 550, KEWS 620, KXL 750, KPDZ 800, KWBY 940 (Spanish), KOTK 1080, KEX 1190, KBPS 1450, and KFXX 1520; FM  KBPS 89.9, KOPB 91.5, KGON 92.3, KPDZ 93.7, KNRK 94.7, KXL 95.5, KISN 97.1, KUPL 98.7, KWJJ 99.5, KKRZ 100.3, KINK 101.9, KKCW 103.3, and KKJZ 106.7; and TV  KATU, KOIN, KGW, KPTV and KEI (Spanish). Please note that in the event of an inclement weather cancellation, each situation may be different: evening classes may be held when day classes are canceled, or vice versa.

For CE/ED (Continuing Education) Courses:


If a student comes in late or misses the first class session, have the individual contact CE/ED in person or by phone to ensure that he or she is registered.

Guidelines for Course Cancellation Due to Low Enrollment

For CE/ED courses, in order to serve students, CE/ED in collaboration with the Graduate School of Education has developed the following guidelines for cancellation of classes due to low enrollment.

  • Course cancellation decisions should be made five working days before the class begins. CE/ED, in conjunction with the instructor, will make the decision based on pedagogical and budgetary factors.
  • CE/ED will attempt to notify every student in writing of the cancellation. If the timelines preclude students' receipt of written notification at least three days before a class is scheduled to begin, a telephone call will be made, followed by written confirmation of class cancellation.
  • Someone will meet the first class session of a cancelled class (regardless of location). A staff member from CE/ED will meet any cancelled open enrollment class. The person meeting the class will stay for one-half hour.
  • When the person meeting the class leaves, he or she will leave a sign on the door explaining that the course has been cancelled and list a telephone number to call for any questions.

CE/ED will process any necessary refunds for credit fees.

Dealing with Difficult Students

In the admissions process, we look for candidates who not only have strong academic skills, but whose demeanor and interpersonal skills are suited for the professions they have chosen. Unfortunately, admission interviews only give us a sample of the candidate’s behavior, and we occasionally must address the inappropriate or unethical behavior in courses or field experiences. Problem behaviors include:

  • Tardiness and poor attendance
  • Disruptive classroom interaction
  • Plagiarism
  • Dishonesty
  • Inappropriate demeanor
  • Lack of courtesy

Student Codes of Conduct. Expectations for student conduct are specifically addressed in two documents. View the university's Code of Student Conduct and Responsibility online.

The GSE also has its own Behavior and Performance Guidelines (PDF) online.

Preventative Measures. A first step in addressing problem behaviors is clearly stating expectations in the course syllabus and discussing them with students in the first class session. Stated expectations might include:

Attendance: Students will make every attempt to be in class on time and to honor the importance of making good use of class time

Preparedness: Students will keep up with the readings and come to class prepared to discuss them.

Thoughtful attention: Students will give the class their full attention and think critically about the issues discussed.

Participation: Students will participate in class practice activities and will contribute to the class’s construction of knowledge either in whole class or small group discussion.

Support: In order to create a safe space for learning, students will honor the contributions of their classmates and challenge differing opinions in respectful ways.

Thoroughness: Students will complete assignments carefully, completing all parts of the assignment.

Thoughtfulness: Students will do thoughtful, original work to the best of their ability.

Professionalism: Students will turn their work in on time and give attention to the way in which they present their work. Assignments will be typed when possible and proofread for spelling and grammatical errors.

Disruptive or Disrespectful Students. In situations in which students challenge an instructor or another student, the instructor must respond in ways that make a distinction between content and conduct. PSU honors students’ freedom of speech, and students have the right to disagree with an instructor or offer a different point of view. However, students do not have the right to indulge in inappropriate conduct. They may not dominate discussions, be disrespectful, use inappropriate language, or verbally harass the instructor or other students. Instructors have the authority to guide the direction and tone of discussion in the classroom, and may take disciplinary action against students who do not respect their authority to do so.

Consequences. Most of the time, speaking to the student privately, outside of class is the appropriate course of action for first offenses. If a student does not respond to your request to quiet himself or herself or engages in behavior that is threatening, you may ask the student to leave the classroom. If you need support in removing a student from a classroom, call the Campus Public Safety office at 5-4404 (urgent calls only).

At the department level, you may provide a written statement of concern and a request for a student performance review to the cohort leader or advisor and the department chair. The student should also receive a copy of the statement of concern. The department chair then will convene a review panel (department chair, two other faculty) that should take place within fifteen (15) school days of the request. The outcome of the Review Hearing will be one of the following:

  • Dismissal of concern
  • Plan of assistance
  • Approval for leave of absence from the program
  • Suspension from program

Problems in Field Placements. Because field placements involve children and other vulnerable populations, the GSE has the responsibility to assure that students’ actions are consistent with expectations for professionals in those settings. Concerns about a student’s professional behaviors should be brought to the cohort leader or program director immediately. Most often a plan of assistance will be developed with the student, cooperating teacher, and supervisor. For serious problems, a student can be removed immediately from a practicum, an internship, or student teaching field placement if such removal is requested by the onsite administrator and/or University supervisor. The department chair must be informed of any such disciplinary steps. More information about this can be found in the Student Conduct Code.

Crisis/Emergency Response


  • Know who your students are
  • State your expectations for classroom interactions and appropriate student behavior in your syllabus
  • Have contact information:
    • Campus Safety–Emergency 725-4404
    • Campus Safety–Non-emergency 725-4407
    • Student Health and Counseling Services 725-2800
    • Office of Student Affairs Care Team 725-4492
  • Take your cell phone to class
  • Have Campus Safety numbers on your cell phone
  • Know the address of the building in which you are teaching (or the cross streets. School of Education Building is 615 SW Harrison.)
  • Keep in mind colleagues who have offices nearby
  • Keep attendance or at least take note of who's there and who's missing
  • Sign up for PSU Alerts (


  • For health or safety emergencies: Call 9-911 or 5-4404 (Campus Safety) (911 will route the call to the Campus Safety office)
  • For PSU Alert of campus crisis: Don't call. Check PSU website on your smart phone or laptop ( Unless directed to do otherwise, pull the blinds, turn out lights, and stay there ("shelter in place").
  • For concerns about a student: Call the Office of Student Affairs


  • Take class time to debrief when class meets again
    • What issues did the incident bring up?
    • How could we do better if this happened again?