25th GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony
Friday, June 10, 2016
3-6pm (approximate end-time)
Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97232
Ceremony will begin at 3pm. Graduates are required to arrive at the Convention Center at 2pm
This time-honored special ceremony is reserved for Graduate School of Education master’s and doctoral degree recipients who will be acknowledged for achieving their advanced degree and receive the traditional hood that in academia signifies their school, degree, and field of study. This year’s event will be held in the Oregon Convention Center and includes a short program, followed by a presentation and hooding of the graduates. Family and friends are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Eligibility: All masters and doctoral students graduating between fall 2015-fall 2016 are eligible to participate.
- Students intending to graduate must still apply to graduate and request their degree through the Office of Graduate Studies. Please review the Office of the Registrar's Graduation and Commencement instructions and Applying for a Degree. We do not check doctoral hooding registrants with the Office of Graduate studies.
- The University Commencement is a separate event on Sunday, June 12, and requires a separate Office of Graduate Studies application.
Steps to participate in the GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony
1. Register with the GSE – Complete the online form by May 31, 2016. Once registered, you will receive additional details nearer to the event date.
2. Reserve guest tickets through PSU’s Ticket Booth: (Available after February 15, 2016)
Guest tickets to the GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony are free to graduates (graduates do not need a ticket). The maximum number of initial tickets per graduate is 6. Tickets are available on a first come/first served basis as long as supply lasts. Tickets are emailed as PDF attachments to the address used when reserving. Print out the tickets and give them to your guests. Tickets will be scanned at the door. If you have more tickets than you need, please contact the PSU Box Office at 503-725-3307 to return extras, so that they can be reserved by another student. Any remaining tickets will be made available for graduates to reserve in May. Tickets for this event are only offered through the PSU Ticket Booth.
Participating graduates and faculty are required to wear the full academic regalia: cap, gown, hood, and tassel.
- The hood has light blue that represents Education and dark green that represents PSU
- The tassel color for a master’s in education is light blue and for doctoral is old gold
- Master’s students buy their regalia; doctoral candidates rent theirs
Graduates can purchase regalia and other graduation items through PSU’s Herff Jones Online Store. The last day regalia can be preordered online is Friday, April 15, 2016. Starting April 18, 2016, students may also purchase regalia and other graduation gear from the PSU Bookstore. We recommend getting your regalia as soon as possible.
Professional photographers from GradImages will be taking photographs at the ceremony. You can preregister for your photographs online, or at the ceremony.
5. Arrival: Graduates should plan to arrive to the Oregon Convention Center on Friday, June 10th by 2:00 pm with their regalia. Graduates will line up with faculty in a separate location and should plan to be separated from family members during this time. Families can be seated in the main auditorium during this time. Note: Only graduates are allowed on stage. Children and family members must remain in the guest seating areas.
6. Parking & Transportation: The Oregon Convention Center is located in the heart of Portland’s NE district. Parking is available and public transportation via the MAX and bus system is also very accessible. For more information, please visit the Oregon Convention Center's Parking and Directions page.
7. Restaurants: There are many restaurants in the vicinity of the Oregon Convention Center that are a great place for graduates and their families to celebrate at. Plan ahead for your family to celebrate by making reservations in advance.
Questions about the GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony should be directed to Emily McCaffrey at email@example.com or call 503-725-4619.