At a Glance: ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement
Succeeding with linguistically and culturally diverse students
In the English for Speakers of Other Languages/Bilingual Endorsement program, you will learn how to work in your classroom with children who are English language learners. Our schools are becoming more and more diverse. Teachers who have the ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement and know how to work effectively with these students are needed in all districts.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Prepare for the challenges of today's multicultural K-12 classroom
- Learn effective teaching strategies that work with all students, regardless of their native language
- Be in high demand in schools
Upon completion, you will be knowledgeable in the educational needs of children across languages and cultures and will be able to use your skills to promote success for these students.
Who is this for?
This program prepares licensed teachers to add this endorsement after passing the test required by the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
You do not need to be able to speak a second language in order to participate in the ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement program.
- Face-to-face at PSU’s downtown campus; some courses offered partially online
- 22 required credits
- 7 classes and a practicum
- Offered at graduate and undergraduate level
- Flexible schedule—courses are offered frequently, giving you the option to move through the program at your own pace. If courses are taken full-time, with careful planning the program can be completed in as little as one year.
- Partially online
Getting started in the ESOL/Bilingual endorsement program at PSU is easy! Apply for admission at your earliest opportunity. There are no prerequisite courses for the ESOL/Bilingual Endorsement, and you can begin the enrollment process in a few simple steps:
- Have a current Oregon Teaching License
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Begin the application process
- Register for the ESOL/Bilingual mailing list to get the latest information on upcoming events and courses