At a Glance: Deepening Mathematical Understanding
Do you need to inject new energy into your math lessons? Refresh your skills and learn new ideas for classroom instruction with Deepening Mathematical Understanding. This series of courses provides you with easy-to-apply, insightful lessons to help your students gain capacity and enthusiasm for mathematics.
The math content-focused courses draw upon theDeveloping Mathematical Ideas(DMI), a case-based professional development curriculum that uses real classroom episodes as a basis for the learning.In these courses you will explore mathematics, share and discuss the work of your students as well as those highlighted in the various cases, analyze curriculum materials, and read related research to better understand student thinking and/or trends instructional approaches always considering implications for your practice.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Have a stronger teaching background in math
- Be able to create impactful math lessons for students
Upon completion of eight 3-credit classes, you will receive a certificate of completion. These credits can count as electives in some master's degree programs at PSU.
Getting started in the Deepening Mathematical Understanding classes at PSU is easy! There are no course prerequisites for program. You may take the courses in any order. You may take up to eight credits per term at PSU as a non-admitted student.
- Visit the Continuing Education website to register or to view available courses
- For online classes you will need a PSU online course account
- Register for the Math Oregon mailing list to get the latest information on upcoming events and courses.