At a Glance: Asperger's Syndrome and High Functioning Autism
An online certificate of completion program for educators
Students with Asperger's and high functioning autism (AS/HFA) face challenges every day. If you've ever worked with this population and experienced their frustration, then this program is for you. The Asperger's and high functioning autism classes cover a variety of issues to improve social, cognitive, behavioral, and academic skills. PSU faculty in this program have used their extensive experience to develop advanced curriculum and tools to help these students lead highly productive lives. Strategies include social skills training, learning techniques, and environmental modifications.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Better understand the challenges facing students with Asperger's syndrome and high functioning autism
- Learn effective teaching strategies to use in your classroom
- Study online in your own time
Upon completion, you will be knowledgeable in meeting the educational and social development needs of children with AS/HFA.
Who is this for?
This program prepares special educators, general education teachers, speech and reading specialists, counselors and other mental health professionals, paraprofessionals, administrators, and parents for working with this special population.
- Fully online program
- Four 3-credit classes can be taken independently or take all 12 credits for a certificate
Getting started in the Asperger's certificate of completion at PSU is easy! There are no course prerequisites for this online series, but a basic knowledge of autism spectrum disorder is recommended. You may take up to eight credits per term at PSU as a non-admitted student.
- Visit the Continuing Education website to register or to view available courses.
- For online classes you will need a PSU online course account
- Register for the Asperger's and Autism mailing list to get the latest information on upcoming events and courses
1-800-547-8887 ext. 58102
Request more information
- Autism Certificate of Completion
- Autism Training and Research Center
- School Counseling Series
- Special Educator Professional Development Opportunities