At a Glance: AddSped Endorsement in Special Education
For currently licensed elementary and secondary teachers
Are you working in a general or subject area classroom that includes students with special needs? Or do you aspire to move into an area of teaching where close interaction and individualized instruction can help students realize their potential? If so, why not consider becoming a special educator?
The demand for experienced professionals working in special education is ever growing. Over two million new positions are expected to be created. This program prepares you to add a special education endorsement to your basic standard license at either the elementary or secondary levels. In addition, coursework from this endorsement can be applied to a PSU master's degree.
As a member of this program, you will:
- Prepare for the challenges of today's inclusive K-12 classroom
- Learn effective teaching strategies to help students access their potential
- Find a greater sense of purpose and commitment to your profession
As a graduate, you will be in high demand in our schools. You will work with confidence in inclusive and specialized classroom setting.
Who is this for?
The program prepares licensed teachers to meet the state endorsement requirements, administered through the Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC).
- Face-to-face at PSU’s downtown campus, and some online coursework
- 42 required credits
- 6 terms
- Cohort program
- Practicum experience
Cohorts begin every year. Admission deadline is November 1 for cohorts starting in January. There is one prerequisite: Sped 518 Survey of Exceptional Learners and the Praxis II exam, which may be taken during the program. You can begin the enrollment process in a few simple steps:
- Have a current Oregon Teaching License
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Schedule your in-person appointment or attend an information session
- Begin the application process
- Register for the AddSped mailing list to get the latest information on upcoming events and courses
1-800-547-8887 ext 58102
Request more information