25th GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony
Friday, June 10, 2016
3-6pm (approximate end-time)
Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Portland, Oregon 97232
Ceremony will begin at 3pm. Graduates are required to arrive at the Convention Center at 2pm
This time-honored special ceremony is reserved for Graduate School of Education master’s and doctoral degree recipients who will be acknowledged for achieving their advanced degree and receive the traditional hood that in academia signifies their school, degree, and field of study. This year’s event will be held in the Oregon Convention Center and includes a short program, followed by a presentation and hooding of the graduates. Family and friends are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Eligibility: All masters and doctoral students graduating between fall 2015-fall 2016 are eligible to participate.
- Students intending to graduate must still apply to graduate and request their degree through the Office of Graduate Studies. Please review the Office of the Registrar's Graduation and Commencement instructions and Applying for a Degree. We do not check doctoral hooding registrants with the Office of Graduate studies.
- The University Commencement is a separate event on Sunday, June 12, and requires a separate Office of Graduate Studies application.
Steps to participate in the GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony
1. Register with the GSE – Registration for the Academic Hooding Ceremony has finished. Please email email@example.com if you have questions.
2. Reserve STANDBY Guest Tickets through PSU's Ticket Booth
The available ticket capacity has been reached. You can now reserve Standby Tickets for your guests, and should tickets become available they will be emailed to you in early June.
Guest tickets to the GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony are free to graduates (graduates do not need a ticket). Each graduate is able to reserve 6 tickets. Tickets are available on a first come, first served basis until May 18.
If you have reserved more tickets than you need for the event, please be kind to your fellow graduates and return any unneeded tickets to the PSU Box Office. You can do so by calling or emailing the Box Office at 503-725-5613 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets are emailed as PDF attachments to the address used when reserving. Print out the tickets and give them to your guests. Tickets will be scanned at the door. Tickets for this event are only offered through the PSU Ticket Booth.
Participating graduates and faculty are required to wear the full academic regalia: cap, gown, hood, and tassel.
- The hood has light blue that represents Education and dark green that represents PSU
- The tassel color for a master’s in education is light blue and for doctoral is old gold
- Master’s students buy their regalia; doctoral candidates rent theirs
Starting April 18, 2016, students can pre-order items in-person through the PSU Spirit Store located on the first floor of the Smith Memorial Student Union. The Spirit Store is open Monday-Friday from 10am-6pm. The last day to pre-order through the Spirit Store is May 17th, 2016. Pre-ordered items will be available for pickup at the Grad Fairs on May 18th & 19th from 12pm-8pm in SMSU 327. Student who were unable to pre-order before May 17th, can purchase in-person at the Grad Fairs. Limited quantities will be available plus an additional charge.
2016 Graduates can also purchase graduation items such as class rings, announcements, and frames through our Herff Jones Online Store.
Faculty can rent regalia for the Academic Hooding Ceremony as well as the University Commencement on Sunday June 12. Please see the University's Commencement web page for more information.
Professional photographers from GradImages will be taking photographs at the ceremony. You can preregister for your photographs online, or at the ceremony.
5. Arrival: Graduates should plan to arrive to the Oregon Convention Center on Friday, June 10th by 2:00 pm with their regalia. Graduates will line up with faculty in a separate location and should plan to be separated from family members during this time. Families can be seated in the main auditorium during this time. Note: Only graduates are allowed on stage. Children and family members must remain in the guest seating areas.
6. Parking & Transportation: The Oregon Convention Center is located in the heart of Portland’s NE district. Parking is available and public transportation via the MAX and bus system is also very accessible. For more information, please visit the Oregon Convention Center's Parking and Directions page.
7. Restaurants: There are many restaurants in the vicinity of the Oregon Convention Center that are a great place for graduates and their families to celebrate at. Plan ahead for your family to celebrate by making reservations in advance.
Questions about the GSE Academic Hooding Ceremony should be directed to Emily McCaffrey at email@example.com or call 503-725-4619.