Vatter Memorial Lecture
The Vatter Memorial Lecture was established in 2006 to honor PSU Professor of Economics Harold Goodhue Vatter. Vatter was a pioneer of New Economic History. By integrating economic theory with history, Vatter achieved a level of thinking on par with the greats. He taught at several universities, including the University of Chicago and Oregon State University, before coming to Portland State University in 1965. He passed away September 8, 2000 at the age of 89.
- 2014 Janet Currie, "Child Health and the Future"
- 2012 Gavin Wright, "The Civil Rights Revolution in the South: Who Won, Who Lost?"
- 2010 Peter Lindert, "Who Paid for Your Education? Who Should?"
- 2009 Jagdish Bhagwati, "Trade Policy at Risk: How President Obama Should Confront Protectionism."
[Video & Photos]
- 2008 Douglass C. North, "The Natural State or Why Economic Development is so Difficult to Achieve."
- 2007 L. Randall Wray, "Demand Constraints, Secular Stagnation, and Big Government: The Contributions of Harold G. Vatter."