Randall A. Bluffstone
Randall A. Bluffstone
Professor of Economics
Director of the Institute for Economics and the Environment
Ph.D. Economics, Boston University (1993)
M.A. Economics, Boston University (1991)
B.S. Business Economics (1982), Miami University, Ohio.
Publications (please see personal web page for additional)
· Forest Tenure Reform in Asia and Africa: Local Control for Improved Livelihoods, Forest Management, and Carbon Sequestration (with Elizabeth J. Z. Robinson) Edited volume. Taylor & Francis/RFF Press. November 2014
· Agricultural Productivity in East Africa: Investment, Sustainability and Poverty Reduction (with Gunnar Kohlin) Edited volume. Earthscan/Resources for the Future Press, June 2011.
Recent Book Chapter
· “Economic Drivers and Incentives,” Handbook of Global Environmental Pollution Volume 1, Bill Freedman, ed. SpringerReference. 2012.
Most Recent Journal Articles
· Livestock and Private Tree Holdings in Rural Ethiopia: The Effects of Collective Action Institutions, Tenure Security and Market Access,(with Mahmud Yesuf, Takuro Uehara, Bilisuma Bushie, Demissie Damite) Journal of Development Studies Forthcoming
· Economics of REDD+ and Community Forestry, Journal of Forest and Livelihood, Vol. 11 (2): 69-74. 2014.
· Are Soil Conservation Technologies ‘Win-Win?’ Evidence from the Ethiopian Highlands, (with Menale Kassie, Stein Holden, and Gunnar Köhlin) Natural Resources Forum 35: 89–99. 2011.
· Valuing Ecological Systems and Services, (with Costanza, R. I. Kubiszewski, D. Ervin, J. Boyd, D. Brown, H. Chang, V. Dujon, E. Granek, S. Polasky, V. Shandas and A. Yeakley) F1000 Biology Reports 2011, 3:14. 2011
· Poverty, Risk Aversion and Path Dependence in Low Income Countries: Experimental Evidence from Ethiopia, (with Mahmud Yesuf) American Journal of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 91 (4): 1022-1037. 2009.
· Corporate Environmental Management in Transition Economies: The Case of Central and Eastern Europe, (with Jorge Garcia and Thomas Sterner) Czech Journal of Economics and Finance. Vol. 59 (5): 410-425. 2009.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Working Papers (please see personal web page for unreviewed papers)
· Measuring Risk Preferences in Rural Ethiopia: Risk Tolerance and Exogenous Income Proxies, (with Ferdinand Vieider, Abebe Beyene, Sahan Dissanayake, Zenebe Gebreegziabher, Peter Martinsson and Alemu Mekonnen) World Bank Policy Research Working Paper December 2014.
· Child Labor, the Wealth Paradox, and Common Forest Management in Bolivia, EfD/RFF Discussion Paper Series EfD DP 14-16
· Community Controlled Forests, Carbon Sequestration and REDD+ Some Evidence from Ethiopia, (with Abebe Beyene and Alemu Mekonnen) EfD/RFF DP 12-11.
· Is there a Link between Common Property Forest Management and Private Tree Growing? Evidence of Behavioral Effects from Highland Ethiopia, (with Alemu Mekonnen) EfD/RFF DP 8.