MA/MS Admissions Requirements
PLEASE NOTE: Starting in the Fall 2013 term, all Economics graduate applications (MA, MS, graduate certificate) will be transitioning to an online system. If you will be applying for admission to our program after September 30, please submit your materials after the online system has been implemented. More information will be available soon.
Admission to the Master’s Degree program in the Department of Economics (in addition to University admissions requirements) requires:
- GPA Requirements A minimum of a 3.00 GPA in overall undergraduate coursework AND a minimum of a 3.00 GPA in economics coursework. If you have already completed graduate coursework, a cumulative GPA of 3.00 in all graduate credit earned at accredited institutions is required.
- Coursework: The following undergraduate courses are required:
- Intermediate Microeconomics
- Intermediate Macroeconomics
- Univariate and Multivariate Calculus
- Linear Algebra
Courses in Mathematical Economics and Advanced Calculus are recommended but not required.
- Testing: GRE scores of 300 (quantitative and verbal combined; 1100 by the old GRE scale) or higher. Request that Educational Testing Services (ETS) send a copy of your scores to code #4610 (Portland State University), #1801 (Department of Economics at PSU) when registering.
The TOEFL is required for University admission for international students, unless they have a U.S. university degree. See University minimum TOEFL requirements here. The GMAT with a score of 520 or higher may be considered in lieu of the GRE.
- Application Forms:
- University Application for Graduate Admission, submitted to the PSU Admissions Office. Apply online here.
- Departmental Graduate Admission Application, submitted to the Department of Economics. Application form available here.
- Approximately 500-word essay on goals and aspirations for entering and completing the graduate program.
- Recommendations: Three (3) letters of recommendation sent either by mail to: Department of Economics, PSU, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751 or by email to Margie Port, Graduate Program Coordinator, Department of Economics at email@example.com.
- Application/Transcripts: Official transcripts from any other institutions (other than PSU) you may have attended. You will need an official transcript sent to the PSU Admissions Office for University admission AND an official transcript sent to the Department of Economics, PSU, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751.
Recommended Application Dates
Portland State University accepts applications for each term on a rolling admissions basis. Please note that the following dates are priority filing dates only. Applications will still be accepted after these dates; however, once all documents have been received, please allow a minimum processing time of two to three weeks for an admissions decision by the Graduate Committee. The competitive applications for graduate assistanceships will only be considered at the time of the FALL application date (February 1).
Priority is given to applicants who have submitted complete files by the following dates:
FALL: February 1
WINTER: September 1
SPRING: November 1
SUMMER: February 1