John Luke Gallup
Associate Professor of Economics
Office: Cramer Hall 241Q
CV Data Sets
CitationsInformation on Graduate Program
- PhD in Economics, University of California at Berkeley, 1994
- MA in Demography, University of California at Berkeley, 1990
- BA in Economics and Political Science, Swarthmore College, High Honors, 1985
- Economic Development
- Labor Economics
- Growth Theory
- Implementing Econometrics in Stata
- Data Files
Current Research Interests
- Geography in Economic Development
- Problems of Tropical and Landlocked Regions
- Determinants of Income Distribution
- Labor Markets and Rural Poverty in Vietnam
Publications and Working Papers
- John Luke Gallup. "Complex Tables for Publication," keynote address at German Stata User's Meeting, June 7, 2013.
- John Luke Gallup. "Is There a Kuznets Curve?" working paper.
- John Luke Gallup. "The Global Convergence of Income Distribution," working paper.
- John Luke Gallup. "The Economic Cost of Distance: Far-flung Europe," International Journal of Applied Economics and Econometrics, 2013.
- John Luke Gallup. "A Programmer’s Command to Build Formatted Statistical Tables," Stata Journal, 2013.
- John Luke Gallup. “A New System for Formatting Estimation Tables,” Stata Journal, 12(1): 3–28, 2012.
- John Luke Gallup. "The Wage Labor Market and Inequality in Vietnam in the 1990s," in Glewwe, Paul, David Dollar, and Nisha Agrawal, eds. Economic Growth and Household Welfare: Policy Lessons from Vietnam. Washington, D. C.: The World Bank, 2004.
- John Luke Gallup, Eduardo Lora, and Alejandro Gaviria. Is Geography Destiny? Lessons from Latin America. Palo Alto: Stanford University Press, 2003. (Chap 1a, Chap 1b, Chap 1c)
- John Luke Gallup and Jeffrey D. Sachs. "The Economic Burden of Malaria," American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 64(1-2):85-96, 2001.
- Jeffrey D. Sachs, Andrew Mellinger, and John Luke Gallup. "The Geography of Poverty and Wealth," Scientific American, 284(3, March 2001):62-67.
- John Luke Gallup and Jeffrey D. Sachs. "Agriculture, Climate, and Technology: Why are the Tropics Falling Behind?" American Journal of Agricultural Economics, 82(3):731-737, 2000.
- John Luke Gallup. "Geography and Socioeconomic Development in Latin America and the Caribbean," Chapter 3 of Economic and Social Progress in Latin America, 1999-2000 Report. Washington, D.C.: Inter-American Development Bank, 2000.
- Andrew Mellinger, Jeffrey D. Sachs, and John Luke Gallup. "Climate, Coastal Proximity, and Development," in Clark, Gordon L., Maryann P. Feldman, and Meric S. Gertler, eds., The Oxford Handbook of Economic Geography, pp. 169-194, 2000.
- John Luke Gallup. "Update to Formatting Regression Output," Stata Technical Bulletin 58:9-13, 2000.
- John Luke Gallup, Jeffrey D. Sachs, and Andrew Mellinger. 1999a. "Geography and Economic Development" in Pleskovic, Boris, and Joseph E. Stiglitz, eds., World Bank Annual Conference on Development Economics 1998. Washington, DC: The World Bank, pp. 127-178, 1999. Reprinted in International Regional Science Review, 22(2): 179-232, 1999. (maps in color)
- John Luke Gallup and Jeffrey D. Sachs. "Health and Wealth: How Geography Influences Socioeconomic Development," DRCLAS News, Fall 1999, pp. 7-10.
- John Luke Gallup. 1999c. "Revision of Outreg," Stata Technical Bulletin 49:25, 1998.
- John Luke Gallup, Steve Radelet, and Andrew Warner. "Economic Growth and the Income of the Poor," CAER Discussion Paper 36, Harvard Institute for International Development, 1998.
- John Luke Gallup. "Agricultural Productivity and Geography," presented at 1998 American Economics Association Meetings, Chicago.
- John Luke Gallup. "Poverty and the Demographic Transition," presented at the Conference on Economic Aspects of Demographic Transition: The Experience of Asian Pacific Countries, Taipei, Taiwan, June 19-20, 1998.
- John Luke Gallup. "Formatting Regression Output for Published Tables," Stata Technical Bulletin 46:28-30, 1998.
- John Luke Gallup. "The Economic Value of Children in Vietnam," presented at the 1998 Association of Asian Studies Meetings, Washington, DC.
- Joel E. Cohen, Christopher Small, Andrew Mellinger, John Luke Gallup, and Jeffrey D. Sachs. "Estimates of Coastal Populations," Science Vol. 278, No. 5341(Nov. 14, 1997):1211-1212.
- John Luke Gallup and David Bloom. "Environment, Poverty, and Population," background paper for the Asian Development Bank's Emerging Asia: Changes and Challenges, 1997.
- John Luke Gallup. "Ethnicity and Earnings in Malaysia," HIID Development Discussion Paper No. 593, 1997.
- John Luke Gallup. "Theories of Migration," HIID Development Discussion Paper No. 569, 1997.
- John Luke Gallup. "Migration in Malaysia: Heterogeneity and Persistence," Institutes of Economics and Sociology, Hanoi, 1996.
- John Luke Gallup. Heterogeneity, Persistence, and Ethnicity: Internal Migration and Labor Markets in Malaysia, unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Department of Economics, University of California at Berkeley, 1994.
- Landis MacKellar and John Luke Gallup. "TM2: An Economic-Demographic Simulation Model," World Employment Program Working Paper, International Labor Office, 1993.
- John Luke Gallup. "The Effect of Cohort Size on Wages in Brazil," presented at 1992 Population Association of America Meetings, Toronto.
These geography data were mainly created by Andrew Mellinger as for use in Gallup, Sachs, and Mellinger (1999, see above) and other geography-related papers.