According to an IDC report, the embedded systems market, which already generates more than $1 trillion in revenue annually, will double by 2015. Embedded systems are computer systems dedicated to a particular functionality, rather than for a general purpose. Such systems typically are required to operate under stringent performance, power, cost, space, reliability, and real-time constraints. Embedded systems are increasingly dominating nearly every aspect of human life. They are used in both consumer and industrial applications, such as automobiles, TVs, cell phones, tablets, house appliances, house automation, and many other application domains. Embedded systems are composed of hardware, software (a.k.a firmware), and include often mechanical parts, sensors, and actuators.
Our embedded systems track provides an industry-focused educational pathway for students who wish to specialize in that growing area. Courses cover both hardware and software aspects. Students in this specialization will learn how to design, build, program, and test entire embedded systems.
Students who begin this track should have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of microprocessors and programming. Students who have taken ECE 371, 372, and 373 (or equivalent) will be well prepared for this specialization.
- ECE 585 Microprocessor System Design
- ECE 540 System on a Chip Design with FPGAs
- ECE 544 Embedded System Design with FPGAs
- ECE 558 Embedded Systems Programming (effective Fall 2014)
Current students can complete the track with either ECE 558 or 582.
Depth and Breadth Course List
- ECE 524 Advanced Embedded In Silico and In Materio Computing
- ECE 565 Signals and Noise
- ECE 566 Digital Signal Processing
- ECE 568 Introductory Image Processing
- ECE 578 Robotics I
- ECE 579 Robotics II
- ECE 551 Control Systems Design I
- ECE 552 Control Systems Design II
- ECE 545 Power Electronics Systems Design I
- ECE 546 Power Electronic Systems Design II
- ECE 581 ASIC Modeling and Synthesis
- ECE 582 Formal Verification of HW/SW Systems (effective Fall 2014)
- ECE 586 Computer Architecture
- ECE 587 Advanced Computer Architecture I
- ECE 588 Advanced Computer Architecture II
- ECE 525 Digital Integrated Circuit Design I
Roy Kravitz, ECE, the program director of the embedded systems track. Expertise: embedded systems and FPGA system-on-chip design.
Ala Alameldeen, Intel Corporation. Expertise: computer architecture
Mark Faust, ECE. Expertise: digital systems, computer architecture
Xiayou Song, ECE. Expertise: design automation and formal methods
Marek Perkowski, ECE. Expertise: logic synthesis, intelligent robotics, embedded systems
Y.C. Jenq, ECE. Expertise: signal processing
Zeshan Chishti, Intel Corporation. Expertise: computer architecture
Christof Teuscher, ECE. Expertise: computer architecture, emerging computing paradigms and architectures
News and Updates
Like our Embedded Systems Facebook page to receive news and updates.