Access Program Description
The Access Program is designed to help support students during their first year at Portland State University by providing academic advising, help with identifying and setting academic goals, and referrals to campus and community resources. In addition to these support services, students participated in a college success class. In an attempt to alleviate financial deficiencies Access students receive $1000 in tuition remission per quarter during their first year at Portland State University.
All Access students receive/participate in the following:
- General advising
- Mandatory academic advising every term
- Early registration opportunities
- Scholarship/financial aid assistance
- Referral to appropriate support services
- Fall term College Success Class
- You must be admitted at Portland State University.
- You must be an incoming student in the Fall of 2015.
- Participation in the Access Program Orientation
- Participation in Portland State University’s mandatory New Student Orientation
- Enrollment in the Access College Success Class, Fall term 2015
- Regular meeting with Access Program Adviser
- Regular meeting (weekly) with Access Peer Mentors
- Submission of term progress reports from your instructors
- Successfully completion of 12 credit hours and no more than 14 per term
- 2.0 cumulative and 2.50 term grade point average
- Enrollment in courses or workshops deemed academically beneficial by the Access Program Adviser
- Attendance of all mandatory group meetings (family Appreciations, Spring Challenge, Scholarship Workshop)
- Application to 3 scholarships for Fall 2016 with assistance from the Access Program advisor.
The 2015-2016 ACCESS Application due date: March 2nd, 2015
Admission to the Access Program is offered to both candidates who demonstrate academic promise and those who desire to excel academically. That is, admission is not solely determined by merit, but by potential to excel academically. Although a limited number applicants are admitted into the Access program, all that are eligible are encouraged to apply.
A completed application package should consist of the following:
- A copy of your letter of admission into P.S.U
- A completed Access Program application
- An personal essay (500 word Max)
- A copy of an unofficial transcript
- A copy of your financial aid award (if available) or a statement of your financial need.