Access Program Description:
The Access Program is designed to help support students during their first year at Portland State University by providing academic advising, help with identifying and setting academic goals, and referrals to campus and community resources. In addition to these support services, students participated in a college success class. In an attempt to alleviate financial deficiencies Access students receive $1000 in tuition remission per quarter during their first year at Portland State University.
All Access students receive/participate in the following:
· General advising
· Mandatory academic advising every term
· Early registration opportunities
· Scholarship/financial aid assistance
· Referral to appropriate support services
· Fall term College Success Class
· You must be admitted at Portland State University.
· You must be an incoming student in the Fall of 2014.
· Participation in the Access Program Orientation
· Participation in Portland State University’s mandatory New Student Orientation
· Enrollment in the Access College Success Class, Fall term 2014
· Regular meeting with Access Program Adviser
· Regular meeting (weekly) with Access Peer Mentors
· Submission of term progress reports from your instructors
· Successfully completion of 12 credit hours and no more than 14 per term
· 2.0 cumulative and 2.50 term grade point average
· Enrollment in courses or workshops deemed academically beneficial by the Access Program Adviser
· Attendance of all mandatory group meetings (family Appreciations, Spring Challenge, Scholarship Workshop)
· Application to 3 scholarships for Fall 2014 with assistance from the Access Program advisor
Applications available October 14, 2013. The deadline for submitting applications is February 1, 2014.
Admission to the Access Program is offered to both candidates who demonstrate academic promise and those who desire to excel academically. That is, admission is not solely determined by merit, but by potential to excel academically. Although a limited number applicants are admitted into the Access program, all that are eligible are encouraged to apply.
A completed application package should consist of the following:
· A copy of your letter of admission into PSU
· A completed Access Program application
· An personal essay (500 word Max)
· A copy of an unofficial transcript
· A copy of your financial aid award (if available) or a statement of your financial need.
The application should be sent to the following:
African American Student Service Coordinator
Diversity and Multicultural Student Services
Smith Memorial Student Union 425
Mail code: DMSS
Portland State University
PO Box 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751