Shining a light on diversity
- Raising $100,000 in new scholarships for study abroad,
- Hiring 27 new faculty of color,
- Increasing the percentage of minority employees and students,
- Translating the GDI website into Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese, and
- Producing “U-Belong” and Spanish language videos for diversity recruitment.
Minority and international students now make up one-third of total enrollment, and a quarter of employees at PSU are minorities.
The University published the Diversity Action Plan in 2012 and set up teams across campus to work toward its eight goals. The first progress report gives ratings from “excellent” to “needs improvement” on each of the eight goals.
“I sincerely appreciate the hard work and dedication of students, faculty and staff for moving the university forward on our diversity goals,” says Jilma Meneses, chief diversity officer.