Commission on the Status of Women
PSU’s Commission on the Status of Women
Student Essay Contest
PSU’s Commission on the Status of Women and the Diversity Action Council offers an essay award to support undergraduate and graduate students who are working toward a degree or certificate in any PSU program.
Up to two awards of $500 each will be made for the 2012/2013 academic year. Winners will be notified on May 1, 2013 and recognized at the PSU President’s Diversity Awards event on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 at PSU.
Deadline for Essay Submission: 4/19/13
Theme for 2013: The focus of the essay is on the opportunities and challenges women face in integrating work, life and school. Essays based on personal experiences are welcome.
Examples of topics include:
· Balancing day care with course requirements;
· Employer policies that support, or do not support work, life, and school integration, e.g., Yahoo’s CEO prohibiting telecommuting;
· Governmental support, such as recent passage of Earn Sick Time Leave by the Portland City Council, which includes time off for sick children;
· Work place flexibility for educational leave or non-work related activities; or
· PSU’s Balancing Life and Wellness campaign, see: http://www.pdx.edu/hr/balancing-life-and-wellness
Minimum Qualifications: Competition is open to all genders. Applicants must be accepted into, and currently enrolled in, a degree or certificate program at Portland State University as of Spring term 2013. Both undergraduate and graduate students are invited to submit, including students graduating at the end of Spring or Summer term 2013.
ü Submissions must be sent in MS-Word format to email@example.com, along with the entrant’s contact information and PSU ID number.
ü Submissions should be double-spaced, 3-5 pages (maximum) long.
ü Students may enter only one paper for this competition.
Entries will be evaluated based on: originality, organization, analytical strength, and clarity of the writer’s position.