On Campus Violence
If an armed or threatening intruder comes on to Portland State University (PSU) it is very important that faculty, staff, and students report it immediately.
- Get to a safe and secure area.
- Call 911.
- Try and remain calm so you can give an accurate description of the person or person(s). Be prepared to give a description: type of dress, height, weight, sex, and any other characteristics/physical items that are particular to the individual(s). Report the direction of travel or building entered.
- Do not attempt to apprehend or interfere with the suspect except in case of self-protection.
How to respond when an Active Shooter is in your vicinity:
- Have an escape route and plan in mind
- Leave your belongings behind
- Keep your hands visible
- Hide Out
- Hide in an area out of the active shooter’s view
- Block entry to your hiding place and lock the doors
- Silence your cell phone and/or pager
- Take Action
- As a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger
- Attempt to incapacitate the active shooter
- Act with physical aggression and throw items at the active shooter