A life dedicated to public service
The Center believes that public service is a legitimate, proud and essential calling and that innovative leaders and institutions are needed to:
- Competently execute the programs under their jurisdiction
- Serve as catalysts for constructive change and innovation
- Protect and promote justice and democracy
- Balance liberty and equity
The legacy of Senator Mark O. Hatfield informs and inspires the Center's core values.
- Community & Public Service: Serving the public is a special calling, inspired and nurtured by core values, and which relies on the constant building of skills and knowledge to promote the public interest.
- International Cooperation & Respect for Diversity: The Center is committed to preparing public servants with the capacity to lead in an increasingly diverse and power-shared world, both domestically and internationally.
- Fairness, Equity & Social Justice: Building the trust and confidence of citizens requires public servants who are committed to develop policies and build organizations that are effective, fair and equitable.
- Civic Engagement: An engaged citizenry and community enhances the quality and legitimacy of public services, fostering accountability and promoting democratic governance.
- Sustainable Development: Public leaders have a moral obligation to provide stewardship of the community's scarce resources to meet the needs of future generations.