Professional Certificate in Nonprofit Fundraising
Designed with You in Mind
Consisting of one 3-hour class per week, the program is designed to support professionals already in the workplace, as additional training for those currently in the nonprofit sector or for people hoping to change careers.
Application and Registration Information
Now accepting applications! Registration deadline: August 15, 2015.
- 9-month duration beginning September 2015 and ending June 2016
- Tuesday evenings from 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
- 4 consecutive courses plus hands-on practicum and individual mentoring
Learning Outcomes for Certificate Program
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of nonprofit fundraising and how each component works in harmony with the others
- Explain the culture of philanthropy and the role philanthropy plays in organizations
- Be able to apply fundraising theories in concrete, practical ways
- Understand the fundraising cycle including where donors enter, how they move and what steps are taken to provide stewardship
- Have a clearer understanding of your personal strengths and where your interests for professional focus are going forward
- Have the tools, knowledge and resources needed to advance your fundraising career
Learn more at an Information Session
- Thursday, May 21 from 4:00 - 5:30pm @ Urban Center Building, URBN 611, PSU Campus 506 SW Mill Street
- Tuesday, June 16 from 4:00 - 5:30pm @ Urban Center Building, 2nd Gallery, PSU Campus 506 SW Mill Street
- Wednesday, July 29 from 4:00 - 5:30pm @ Urban Center Building, 2nd Gallery, PSU Campus 506 SW Mill Street
Earning the Certificate
Participants complete portfolio requirements for each course. During the fourth and final course, participants complete a Development Audit at a local nonprofit and present the audit report and their completed portfolio to the review panel. Based on the review panel recommendation the certificate is awarded. The certificate will be presented at the annual Major Gift Symposium hosted by WVDO.
These courses are CFRE approved and may be used towards the national certification program. Full participation in the Professional Certificate in Nonprofit Fundraising can be applied for 108 points in Category 1.B – Education of the CFRE International application for initial certification and/or recertification.
Fees and Tuition
- Total cost: $3,200. (Tuition includes registration ($400 valu) to WVDO's Winter 2016 Conferences)
- $50 non-refundable one-time application fee
Books are extra. All of the courses will use Penelope Burk’s Donor Centered Fundraising as the main text. WVDO will have copies of Donor Centered Fundraising available for purchase at cost (currently $50) prior to the beginning of the first course.
Payments: Students will be asked to sign a contract agreeing to a payment plan. Final payment is due by September 2, prior to the first class.
Please note: These courses are offered on a not-for-credit basis. They will not appear on your college transcript, and do not qualify for financial aid.
The Certificate Program meets the requirements for many organization tuition assistance programs. Please contact your HR department for confirmation prior to applying.
Portland State University's tuition exemption policy does not apply to this program.
Fees and tuition are subject to change.
Local foundations are making Technical Assistance dollars available to current grantees. All Technical Assistance scholarships are determined by the funding foundation, not WVDO. WVDO may also have limited General Assistance funds available. Applications for both Technical and General Assistance funds should be submitted using the Financial Assistance Request From on WVDO website. You will be contacted no later than August 21 with scholarship options.
Questions regarding financial assistance can be directed to email@example.com
Students must make a written request to Agnes Zach, Executive Director in order to withdraw. Written requests should be sent either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Agnes Zach, WVDO Certificate, 619 SW 11th Ave., Ste. 108, Portland, OR 97205
Students withdrawing by 5 p.m. 48 hours BEFORE the program begins, are eligible for a full refund of all fees except the $50 application fee.
There is no refund for withdrawals after the first day of class.
WVDO and PSU reserve the right to cancel programs or classes with low enrollments.