Leadership Boot Camp for Newly Elected Officials Special Districts 2015
Now that the election is over the real work begins. Get off to a strong start by learning from experienced elected officials and public administrators by attending the Leadership Boot Camp for Newly Elected Officials Special Districts 2015.
Once you're in office, it’s not all congratulatory messages from friends and neighbors. People who’ve known you for years will start treating you differently. Citizens will expect you to master the details of every issue, or attend every public event in town.
You’ll endure seemingly endless meetings, eye-straining staff reports, and countless hours of public testimony. You’ll face the challenges of working with strong-minded, passionate colleagues. They, too, are elected independently, striving to make good decisions– just like you.
Now’s the time to think about what winning might really mean – and how to make the most of it.
As quickly as possible, help you to shine in your exciting new role as a Local Government Official. The topics covered in this one-day, intensive workshop include:
- Opportunities and Constraints: Understanding your role(s) as an elected board member;
- Ground Rules: Forging effective working relationships with elected colleagues;
- Your New Best Friend: Constructing an appropriate, working relationship with your city manager/county administrator;
- Lines that Matter: The key differences between policy and implementation;
- Effective Delegation: How to work with other boards, task forces, and advisory groups;
- Within the Fishbowl: Representing yourself and your board in public settings;
- Effective meetings: Everyone’s responsibility, not just the presiding officer’s;
- Keeping Faith with your Voters: Effectively promoting your own priorities;
- Building Consensus: How you can – and when you shouldn’t try.
- $250/person for the first newly elected official from a given jurisdiction.
- Jurisdiction Discount: $150/person when additional officials from the same jurisdiction - e.g. other newly-elected board members, veteran members, or city managers/county administrators - register for the program.
Price includes parking and a working lunch.
Contact Dan Trifone, Program Coordinator, for discount code.
Dan Trifone, Program Coordinator
Center for Public Service
PO Box 751 PA-ELI
Portland, OR 97207-0751
tel (503) 725-5114
Registration & Dates:
Registration Starting Soon!
- Date: Saturday, June 13th, 2015
- Time: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Location: PSU Smith Center, Room: 327
(1825 SW Broadway, Portland OR 97201) - Parking information will be e-mailed to registrants.
Note: This professional certificate is offered as not-for-credit, and will not appear on your PSU transcript.
Cancellations: To receive a full refund, a written request to drop/withdraw from a course must be received by the Program Coordinator by 5pm, 7 business days prior to the event.
Accommodations: If you are coming from out of town, consider staying at University Place Hotel. The rate for a standard room is $99 per night (plus lodging tax). Overnight parking at the hotel is $12 per night. For reservations, call 503-221-0140 or book online at www.uplacehotel.com.
Scott Lazenby, Ph.D.: Scott is the current City Manager of Lake Oswego. Prior to that, he was the City Manager of Sandy, Oregon for 20 years. Scott is past-president of the Oregon City/County Management Association, and has local government experience in Washington and Arizona. In addition to his PhD in Public Administration and Policy from PSU’s Hatfield School of Government in 2007, Scott has also written several novels featuring public service protagonists.
Joe Hertzberg: Joe is currently a partner in Solid Ground Consulting and was formerly on the Political Science faculty at Yale University. He has worked in Oregon for more than 25 years, specializing in strategy, leadership, and organization. He has helped many local governments set goals and decide how to work together effectively, including Portland, Beaverton, Bend, Lake Oswego, Oregon City, Tigard, Wilsonville – and Los Angeles.
Important Note: This session has been designed to complement other existing programs offered by the the Special Districts Association of Oregon. Supplement these excellent programs -- that help you comply with your many new legal responsibilities and quickly gain expertise in key policy areas -- with our Leadership Boot Camp to help you set realistic goals, use your time well, and further improve your leadership skills in a teamwork setting.