IMPORTANT NOTE: International applicants residing outside the U.S. need to apply at least six months in advance of their expected enrollment date to allow time to process admission and immigration materials.
International applicants must submit two application packets: one to Portland State University's Office of Admissions and one to the Executive MPA Program. The admission process will be delayed if incomplete applications are submitted.
Application Packet 1: PSU Office of Admissions
Return the following items to the Office of Admissions, Registration, and Records as a complete packet:
- University Application for Graduate Admission form
(Intended degree and major: enter 'MPAE' & 'PAEX')
- $50.00 non-refundable application fee. The fee is good for one year. Pay by check, money order, or credit card. Do not send cash.
- One official transcript (in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution) from each post-secondary institution attended (a transcript from PSU is not required). Official transcripts or degree certificates issued in languages other than English must be translated into English by a certified translation agency and submitted to Portland State along with the original official documents. Contact the Office of Admissions at 503-725-3511 for additional details on this requirment.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency. Applicants whose native language is not English and who have not completed undergraduate degree requirements at an accredited U.S. institution are required to submit official TOEFL scores. The required minimum score is 550 for the paper-based test and 213 for the computer-based test. Visit the TOEFL web site for information about testing and ordering score reports. When ordering test score reports, please use Portland State's institutional code: 4610.
- Evidence of Financial Resources. Applicants who plan to reside in the United States with an F-1 or J-1 visa (student visa) are required to submit the Statement of Financial Support and the Declaration of Finances.
- SEVIS Transfer. This document only required for applicants who currently reside in the United States with an F-1 or J-1 visa and would like to transfer to Portland State University from another U.S. educational institution.
For detailed information on the University's international application process, please visit the International Graduate Admissions website.
Portland State University
Office of Admissions
P.O. BOX 751
Portland, OR 97207-0751
Application Packet 2: Executive MPA Program
Return the following items to the Public Administration Dividion as a complete packet:
- Executive MPA Application form.
- One official transcript (in a sealed envelope) from each post-secondary institution attended. Official transcripts or degree certificates issued in languages other than English must be translated into English by a certified translation agency and submitted to ELI along with the original official documents. Contact the Office of Admissions at 503-725-3511 for additional details on this requirment.
- Copies of official course descriptions and syllabi for all non-PSU graduate courses that you would like evaluated for transfer credit.
- Application essays (essay questions included in Executive MPA Application form).
- Copy of current professional resume.
- Three letters of recommendation from academic or professional references (no standardized form required). Each letter should be written on official letterhead and sealed in an envelope.
No GRE test scores are required for program admission.
Return Application Packet #2 to:
Executive MPA Program
Center for Public Service
P.O. BOX 751 (PA-ELI)
Portland, OR 97207-0751
Application Review Process
Upon receipt of your application, the Admissions Committee will review your application packet and notify you of their decision shortly before the launch of the cohort in mid-May. Admissions decisions will fall into three categories:
- Unconditional Admission: An applicant is admitted into the program with no conditions or restrictions.
- Conditional Admission: An applicant is conditionally admitted into the program and must demonstrate satisfactory performance in 2 or more courses (as determined by their advisor) before granted unconditional student status.
- Denial: An applicant's qualifications and experience do not meet admissions criteria.
Important Note: Interviews with applicants may be requested by the Admissions Committee prior to issuing an admissions decision.
If you do not join the cohort to which you are admitted, your admission application will be automatically cancelled unless you notify PSU Admissions and the Center for Public Administration.