About Center for Public Service
In early 1970s was a deep need in Oregon to seek out bold new solutions across its many realms of public service and to deliver those solutions into the hands of the busy mid-career professionals throughout the region who needed it most. To meet those needs, programs were created at both Portland State University and Lewis and Clark College. Following years of collaboration, in 1996 the two centers merged to become what is today the PSU Hatfield School of Government’s Center for Public Service. Now hosting an entire fleet of programs, it continues to empower people from a diverse array of industries with new ways of creating robust, human centered solutions in Oregon and beyond.
The Center for Public Service synthesizes the Hatfield School of Government's teaching, research and service-related activities and applies this practical knowledge to build leadership and improve the effectiveness of public service professionals and organizations.
The Center for Public Service aspires to enhance the legitimacy of - and citizen trust in - public service institutions and the people who work in them. We do this by:
- Cultivating and empowering effective, ethical and innovative leaders and managers in government, nonprofit, and other mission-driven organizations
- Improving personal and organizational performance
- Expanding capacity for effective participation in governance networks
- Providing intellectual leadership through applied research and the dissemination of practical knowledge.
Through the integration of theory, scholarly research and practice, the Center enhances the legitimacy and effectiveness of public service institutions and democratic governance. We do this through:
- Training, education and other talent-building programs, which are custom-tailored for the specific needs of public service professionals and organizations
- Research and consulting services that help leaders and citizens better understand and solve key challenges through leadership and innovation
- Academically-grounded, practice-centered knowledge created through research, real-world application, and publication
- A strong grounding in living by and promoting the values of the Hatfield School of Government
Public service professionals and organizations that partner with CPS will acquire knowledge and skills that will tangibly and significantly improve individual performance and leadership and organizational public service capabilities.